Joe Scarborough Has Tense Exchange With Mika Brzezinski Over Romney’s ‘Binder’ Remarks: ‘Desperation’
Image source: MSNBC
“Morning Joe” co-hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski had a tense exchange Thursday over Mitt Romney’s now famous “binders full of women” presidential debate line, with Scarborough dismissing Brzezinski’s outrage and calling the whole thing “ridiculous.”
Brzezinski started the segment by pointing out that Romney had not solicited the “binders” himself upon being elected governor, and that it was Massachusetts women’s groups that instigated the hiring of more women for senior cabinet positions.
“How is that not a lie?” Brzezinski asked. “When you say you ‘sought out’ and then it turns that they were brought to you, that’s not the truth.”
Time magazine’s Mark Halperin shot her down, saying, “I just don’t think that’s what this campaign should be about, and I would say that about either side…I think we should have a spirited debate in the campaign about which of these candidates would do more for all Americans — including women — and look at their policy proposals and their records, but I just don’t think parsing individual statements said live during the debate…”
Brzezinski argued that it wasn’t just a quick debate line and that it was a story Romney had prepared to tell.
“This is a ridiculous, ridiculous argument to make,” Scarborough jumped in. “The president’s going out talking about binders — this is an act of desperation.”
He said he hopes Democrats and liberals continue to focus on “binder-gate” for the rest of the campaign and pointed to MSNBC’s post-debate focus group that saw increased support for Romney among women.
“Keep talking about binders. Mitt Romney’s fine,” Scarborough said. “It’s ridiculous if this concerns you, I guarantee you if this is your concern, that is not the concern of a waitress that is trying to keep her two jobs in Youngstown, Ohio right now…who are moving to Mitt Romney because they don’t think President Obama has a strong enough record on the economy.”
“We can argue Obama’s record on the economy as well, and we could probably have a spirited debate about that and by the way women have done better under the Obama economy than men,” Brzezinski said.
“Then argue that instead of ‘binder-gate,’” Scarborough said.
Brzezinski continued to argue that women who hear such stories about Romney will be turned off by him, questioning “does he get us.”
“Well, keep talking about binders, and Mitt Romney will win in a landslide,”
“Well good, I’m glad he’s for flex time because we’ll be at work less since we’re paid less,” Brzezinski said.
“Whatever,” Scarborough responded.
Watch below, via MSNBC:
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,018 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 454 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 424 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 227 Comments
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In Read More
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 205 Comments
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 122 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Canseco player-coach in indy league _ for a series
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Cleveland Cavaliers win NBA Draft lottery and No. 1 overall pick
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Japan's trade deficit hits $8.6B due to weaker yen
- Obama voices support for Senate immigration bill
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Japan's trade deficit hits $8.6 billion in April