‘Pure Libel’: Dinesh D’Souza Speaks Out Against Scandal Allegations
Filmmaker and author Dinesh D’Souza is at the center of a scandal involving a relationship he allegedly carried on with a woman who was most definitely not his wife, TheBlaze’s Tiffany Gabbay reported earlier this week.
However, what’s slightly strange about this supposed scandal (and the damage it would cause to his career as president of The King’s College in New York City, a Christian school) is the fact that it broke the day D’Souza’s popular and profitable anti-Obama film “2016: Obama’s America” was released to DVD.
Now, D’Souza has responded to the allegation made against him by the Evangelical Christian publication, World magazine.
“A recent article in World magazine gives the false impression that I, a married man, had an affair with a woman Denise [Odie] Joseph at a Christian conference in [Spartanburg, S.C.,]” D’Souza writes in a recent op-ed for Fox News.
“The article alleges that I shared a hotel room with her and introduced her as my fiancé. Finally it states that I filed for divorce only on the day I was confronted about my conduct by intrepid reporter Warren Smith,” he adds.
D’Souza flatly states that the allegations aren’t true and offers a laundry list of reasons why:
1. My wife Dixie and I have been separated for two years. Dixie approached me and demanded this [a separation] before I came to King’s College to become its president in late August 2010. I informed the chairman of the college about this at the time. I also informed the reporter who wrote the World article, Warren Smith, but he deliberately left it out of his piece, even though it is entirely relevant to the context.
2. I met Denise three months ago. We are not and have not been having an affair. Nor did we share a hotel room in Charlotte. Smith did not even ask me about this. Instead, Smith apparently deployed conference organizer Alex McFarland to call and raise the issue with me.
I clearly told McFarland that Denise and I stayed in separate rooms. McFarland knew he didn’t have what he wanted, because he subsequently called me back and asked me again. I realized McFarland may be fronting for Smith, so I told him I didn’t have any further comment. I’m not sure whether McFarland is lying or Smith is lying, but one of them made up the quotation attributed to me that we stayed in the same room but “nothing happened.” This is pure libel.
3. I sought out advice about whether it is legal to be engaged prior to being divorced and I was informed that it is. Denise and I were trying to do the right thing. I had no idea that it is considered wrong in Christian circles to be engaged prior to being divorced, even though in a state of separation and in divorce proceedings. Obviously I would not have introduced Denise as my fiancé at a Christian apologetics conference if I had thought or known I was doing something wrong. But as a result of all this, and to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, Denise and I have decided to suspend our engagement.
A Blaze source says D’Souza has now resigned his position at The King’s College. Read about that here.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Front page photo courtesy CindyCelebs. This story has been updated to reflect the woman’s full name and the correct location of the conference.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 437 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 426 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 372 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower, Replace Them With American Flags Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 126 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Roger Ailes: Obama admin creating ‘McCarthy era’ ‘climate of press intimidation’
- Obama State Dept: London cleaver attack was ‘senseless violence,’ not terrorism
- Oops: ‘Weiner for Mayor’ logo featured skyline of the wrong city
- And now, a word from Newt
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied Aids drugs
- Pakistan: US diplomat kills pedestrian in accident
- Niger government: No hostages in Agadez
- Top Swiss negotiator in tax disputes steps down
- Obama's speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
- Gov. Christie boosts Jersey shore on 'Today'
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- Takei says Cho good choice for latest 'Star Trek'