See the Images of Virginia Teacher’s Alleged Assault on 10-Year-Old Student During ‘Islamic Hand Sign’ Lesson
Tara Harris and her husband Dale Harris. Photo credit: WAVY-TV
TheBlaze first reported about a Virginia teacher who has been charged with simple assault after a parent accused her of injuring her daughter’s hand while forcing the class to learn an “Islamic hand sign.”
Tara Harris, who joined Butts Intermediate School in September as a fifth-grade learning disabilities special education teacher, was charged on Oct. 11 and released on a summons, according to the Chesapeake Police Department. Police confirmed that Harris was charged in connection with an incident that occured at Butts Road Intermediate School but did not provide any additional information.
Stephanie Bennett says her daughter came home from school with a cut on her hand and a swolen finger after Harris yanked and twisted her hand into an Islamic hand sign because she didn’t get it right. She says her daughter’s skin got caught on the metal wire of her notebook.
Bennet provided pictures of her daughter making the “Islamic hand signs” that Harris allegedly made students learn. The images also appear to show a small cut on the knuckle of the 10-year-old’s right index finger and from the incident that occured nearly two weeks ago. The mother says the tip of the girl’s finger is also red and swolen from Harris twisting it.
Another parent, Nita Redditt, backed up Bennett’s claims after she says she talked to her son.
Chesapeake School Board member Harry Murphy told TheBlaze on Thursday that the adminstration will not be able to comment on Harris’s case because it is a “personnel issue.” Murphy refused to even confirm or deny that Harris had been terminated from the school system.
However, he did say every person is innocent until proven guilty and should Harris appeal the school board’s decision, presumably to let her go, the Chesapeake Board of Education would be forced to be the “final jury” in a sense.
Despite making calls to all nine school board members and Superintendent Dr. James Roberts, Murphy is the only person who has responded.
According to the minutes from the Chesapeake School Board’s Oct. 8 meeting, members held a “closed meeting” about “personnel” involving “consideration of employment, assignment, appointment, promotion, demotion, salaries, disciplining or resignation of publi officers, appointees, or employees of any public body.”
Harris’ next-door neighbor, William Moore, told PilotOnline.com that Harris is not a Muslim. “They’re the nicest people you ever wanted to meet,” he said.
“Ahmed Noor, a trustee at the Mosque and Islamic Center of Hampton Roads in Hampton, said there are no hand gestures in the religion of Islam; however as different cultures practice the religion, there could be a culture that both practices Islam and uses some sort of hand gesture,” PilotOnline.com reports.
WAVY-TV has also reported on the issue following TheBlaze’s exclusive report.
Additional attempts to contact Harris were unsuccessful. The teacher’s side of the story is the one big piece still missing in this incident.
Harris is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.
Check back for additional updates on this story on TheBlaze.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 276 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 256 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 107 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 195 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 131 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 105 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 142 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All is Lost'
- UK, Denmark eyes visas for Afghan interpreters
- Official: Treasury played no role in IRS targeting
- Stocks edge higher as investors watch the Fed
- Richard Carrion declares IOC presidential bid