What Could Your Favorite Sleep Position Reveal About You?
Your body language can often reveal what you’re thinking and even personality traits. This too applies to your body language when you’re sleeping.
The U.K.’s Daily Telegraph recently reported that Robert Phillips, a body language expert, studied four of the most popular positions and revealed what they could say about a person. The four positions he studied were fetal, log, yearner and freefall.
Phillips says fetal, the most popular position, involves sleeping on one’s side with the knees curled upward and neck bent slightly downward. This position, the Telegraph reports, brings a person back to their comfort zone. From Phillips’ observations, those who sleep this way are considerate and orderly, but also have the potentially to be over-thinkers and worriers.
The fetal position. (Photo: Shutterstock.com)
Log sleepers, those who lie in a straight position with their arms down, could indicate a more strict, stubborn personality. Whereas those favoring the yearner’s position, sleeping on one’s side with arms stretch outward sideways, are said to be go-getters who can also be critical of themselves.
Arms reaching outward in this way indicate what’s called the “yearners” position. (Photo: Shutterstock.com)
Those in a freefall position, lying on one’s stomach with arms stretched out, might indicate a personality that feels a lack of control over their life. It is also said to be one of the more unfavorable and uncomfortable positions for adults.
The freefall position looks similar to skydiving. (Photo: Shutterstock.com)
The Telegraph reports Phillips conducting this research for Premier Inn, a U.K. hotel chain. A spokesperson for the chain is reported as saying that while some people read horoscopes, the hotel wanted to show guests how their night sleep might indicate how they could face the day.
“We have worked with Robert to develop ‘sleep-o-scopes’ and were shocked that the research revealed just how stressed we are as a nation,” spokeswoman Claire Haigh said.
Watch this recent CBS video with another body language expert discussing the different positions:
This report adds two categories to the list in addition to what Phillips spoke of: soldier and starfish. Soldier is lying on one’s back with arms to one’s side. Starfish is similar except the arms bend upward toward the head. Those sleeping in starfish were reported to be good friends.
Arms above the head like this indicate the starfish position. (Photo: Shutterstock.com.)
CBS’ report shows some differences in the definitions of what constitutes the sleep positions, compared to Phillips observations, but the sentiments of what each mean are relatively similar.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 516 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 462 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 446 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 326 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 258 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
- US family leaves Singapore frustrated with inquest
- FBI arrests suspect in Wash. state ricin case
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Brave woman tried to reason with London attackers
- UK emergency committee meets after attack