12-Year-Old Girl Home Alone Uses Family Gun to Shoot Intruder
Police in Oklahoma say a 12-year-old Oklahoma girl used the family gun to shoot an intruder during a burglary.
Bryan County sixth grader Kendra St. Clair told ABC News she was home alone when there was a loud banging on the door, followed by glass shattering and the intruder entering the house.
Terrified, Kendra called her mom, who told her to get the gun and hide in the closet.
“I said you go get the gun and you get in my closet right now and you call 911,” Debra St. Klair told KFOR-TV.
Kendra was in the closet, on the phone with the 911 dispatcher and gripping the .40 caliber Glock when she saw the closet doorknob start to turn.
“I was sitting there in the closet really scared, not knowing what was gonna happen,” Kendra told KFOR. “When he turned the door handle I shot toward him with my mom’s gun and it hit him right here in the arm.”
It was the first time Kendra had ever fired a gun. Police said the bullet traveled through the closet door and struck 32-year-old Stacy Jones in the shoulder, prompting him to flee from the house.
“I was shaking and I didn’t know what to do, I was kinda hesitant about the whole thing the whole time,” Kendra said. “I was scared and sad and I was crying. I couldn’t believe it was happening.”
Police arrested Jones a few blocks away. He was flown to a hospital in Plano, Texas for treatment. He survived and has been charged with first-degree burglary.
Bryan County under sheriff Ken Golden praised Kendra for her actions.
“She did everything she was supposed to do and as a last resort, she did what she had to do to protect herself,” Golden told KFOR.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 255 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 229 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 173 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 100 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 118 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 138 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters
- Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- GOP questions IRS scrutiny of anti-abortion groups
- Oil stays near $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- AP Interview: Rogge cites need for targeted tests