12-Year-Old Girl Home Alone Uses Family Gun to Shoot Intruder
Police in Oklahoma say a 12-year-old Oklahoma girl used the family gun to shoot an intruder during a burglary.
Bryan County sixth grader Kendra St. Clair told ABC News she was home alone when there was a loud banging on the door, followed by glass shattering and the intruder entering the house.
Terrified, Kendra called her mom, who told her to get the gun and hide in the closet.
“I said you go get the gun and you get in my closet right now and you call 911,” Debra St. Klair told KFOR-TV.
Kendra was in the closet, on the phone with the 911 dispatcher and gripping the .40 caliber Glock when she saw the closet doorknob start to turn.
“I was sitting there in the closet really scared, not knowing what was gonna happen,” Kendra told KFOR. “When he turned the door handle I shot toward him with my mom’s gun and it hit him right here in the arm.”
It was the first time Kendra had ever fired a gun. Police said the bullet traveled through the closet door and struck 32-year-old Stacy Jones in the shoulder, prompting him to flee from the house.
“I was shaking and I didn’t know what to do, I was kinda hesitant about the whole thing the whole time,” Kendra said. “I was scared and sad and I was crying. I couldn’t believe it was happening.”
Police arrested Jones a few blocks away. He was flown to a hospital in Plano, Texas for treatment. He survived and has been charged with first-degree burglary.
Bryan County under sheriff Ken Golden praised Kendra for her actions.
“She did everything she was supposed to do and as a last resort, she did what she had to do to protect herself,” Golden told KFOR.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 467 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 451 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 433 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 295 Comments
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 212 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 144 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 130 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- Lawyer: Malaysian accused of rape married the girl
- Survey shows China manufacturing contracting
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor