End-Times Christian Movie Series ‘Left Behind’ Set for Hollywood Reboot (& Starring Nicolas Cage?)
Move over Kirk Cameron. Actor Nicolas Cage is reportedly in talks to star in a reworked and rebooted version of “Left Behind,” the film series based on the Biblical account of the Rapture. With a proposed budget of $15 million, those behind the revamped film effort are looking to go more mainstream than the original series, which was predominately popular among Christians.
While the “Left Behind” series is getting a major face-lift, the team behind the older films is, at least to a degree, intact. Writer, producer and Cloud Ten Pictures founder Paul Lalonde worked on the original series and he’s once again leading the latest effort. Script consultant John Patus, one of the many individuals who worked on “Left Behind: World at War,” the third movie in the series, is also involved in the new project.
Here’s a scene from the first “Left Behind” film:
The Hollywood Reporter has more about some of the other Hollywood heavyweights getting behind the project:
Legendary stunt coordinator and second-unit director Vic Armstrong is making a very rare jump into the director’s chair for the rebooted Left Behind movie. [...]
Paul Lalonde, who was one of the producers of the original, independently made series that starred Kirk Cameron, is producing the action thriller with Michael Walker. Jay David Williams of Family Screen Partners is exec producing.
Some may wonder how the Christian market will react to a more mainstream actor starring in the film — one who isn’t known for having an overt faith allegiance. Naturally, reaction to these developments is yet to be seen.
While the reboot will follow what the Hollywood Reporter calls “a classic disaster film” format, the essential tenets of end-times theology will still be present. In fact, the film will remain Christian at its core, with the plot, once again, focusing on the survivors living in the hours after the Biblical Rapture.
Cameron starred in the original series, which launched in 2001, with “World at War” completing the series back in 2005. The first three films were adapted from Tim LaHaye’s and Jerry Jenkins’ popular “Left Behind” book series, which sold tens of millions of copies across the globe.
Shooting is currently scheduled to begin in spring 2013 in Baton Rouge, La. According to Variety, “Lalonde [claims] that there is a theatrical guarantee in place from distributor Samuel Goldwyn Films.”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 494 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 458 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 442 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 322 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 247 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- Asia stocks slide as China factory output slips
- Survey shows China manufacturing contracting
- Teen birth rates decline in most US states
- Nearly all US states see hefty drop in teen births
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead
- Urban renewal? Big US cities showing strong growth
- Lawyer: Malaysian accused of rape married the girl