Police: 3 Dead in Milwaukee Spa Shooting, Suspect Found Deceased
A man police suspected of killing three and wounding four by opening fire at a tranquil day spa was found dead Sunday afternoon following a six-hour manhunt that locked down a shopping center, country club and hospital in suburban Milwaukee.
Police told WTMJ-TV the shooting occurred around 11 a.m. at the Azana Spa across the street from the Brookfield Square Mall. Seven people were transported from the scene to area hospitals, four with non-life-threatening injuries.
A bomb squad was on the scene Sunday afternoon dealing with an unknown “device,” slowing the search of the spa considerably. However, police say the suspect was found inside the spa, having perished of what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
David Gosh told the Journal Sentinel he was returning from duck hunting when he saw a woman run screaming into traffic this morning.
“She ran right out into the street was was pounding on cars,” Gosh said.
Shortly thereafter, Gosh said a large black man with a handgun ran out and seemed to be chasing her. Police were arriving at that point, he said, and the gunman ran either back into the building or into the woods behind the building.
The suspect has been identified as Radcliffe Haughton:
“He was the shooter,” Gosh told the newspaper. “He was looking for an escape route.”
WTMJ reported the shooting stemmed from a domestic conflict between the gunman and one the spa’s hair stylists. He apparently slashed the woman’s tires two weeks ago, and she was granted a restraining order on October 18.
The Journal Sentinel described him as black, roughly 6-foot-1 and 270 pounds.
The Associated Press has more:
Agents with the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were assisting the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department, according to the Associated Press.
A statement by the White House says the first family is keeping the victims and their families in their thoughts and prayers. President Obama also offered “whatever resources are necessary” by the federal government to help with the investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report. Updates will be added.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 474 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 464 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 370 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 330 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 103 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 203 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 105 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 107 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Iran's Rafsanjani blasts clerics, says report
- Kerry Kennedy, farmworker protest Wendy's in NYC
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- UK police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier in London.
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- Pritzker's ties to thrift, tax haven eyed
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Shareholder adviser firm paying $300,000 fine