Designer Creates Rolling, Landmine-Detonating Ball Based on Childhood Toy
Locating and removing landmines is dangerous process. That’s why designer Massoud Hassani developed a landmine detonator with the intent that it would roll around an implanted area setting off the bombs without the potential cost of human life.
The 25-year-old originally from Afghanistan, who fled at age 14 and is now living in the Netherlands after studying at the Design Academy Eindhoven, created Mine Kafon, a wind-powered, inexpensive device for setting off the explosives.
On his website, Hassani explains inspiration for the rolling design stemmed from a childhood toy.
“We used to race against the other kids on the fields in our neighborhood,” he wrote. “There was always a strong wind waving towards the mountains. While we were racing against each other, our small miniatures rolled way to fast and too far. Mostly they landed in areas where we were not allowed to step a foot on. Those areas were properties of great dangers and landmines. It was full of them. I still remember those friends that we have lost and saw them getting injured.”
From this idea, Hassani made his rolling landmine detonator 20 times bigger and heavier. The Mine Kafon also has a GPS device embedded so users could monitor where it goes, finding the safest places to walk.
“In Afghanistan there are 10 million land mines on paper. In fact there are much more,” Hassani wrote. “Every destroyed land mine means a saved life and every life counts.”
Working with the Dutch Explosive Disposal Ordnance Unit, Hassani tested the design earlier this year but found it was not yet ready for its intended purpose. He hopes the unit will help him refine his design.
In May, BBC featured Hassani’s Mine Kafon, stating that its construction of bamboo “legs” and plastic “feet” only costs $50. Mine-detecting experts said at the time the Mine Kafon will need to be improved in the way of it being able to withstand multiple blasts to continue clearing a mine field. It is also a downside that it requires wind to move and is most effective on flat, open ground. The device does show promise though for indicating that an area should be marked as dangerous for mines.
A documentary of Hassani and his Mine Kafon is being created by Adent Film. Watch this recently released teaser trailer:
(H/T: Daily Mail)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,035 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 310 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 142 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 104 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed