‘Unacceptable’: Romney Hits Obama for ‘Skipping’ Visit to Israel, Failure to Contain Iran & Perceived American ‘Weakness’
The back-and-forth over Russia wasn’t the only noteworthy moment during tonight’s final presidential debate. When it came to Israel, President Barack Obama and Republican candidate Mitt Romney also clashed over the federal government’s relationship with the Middle Eastern nation.
It’s no secret that throughout Obama’s presidency, some have questioned the level of devotion that administration has had to Israel. Despite the president’s call for a return to 1967 borders and purportedly lukewarm support, Obama has consistently claimed that he is, indeed, devoted to the Israeli cause.
During tonight’s debate, Romney tackled these subjects, alleging that the president’s handling of international relations has caused Iran to see the U.S. as weak. This, the candidate declared, has hampered efforts to prevent Iran from securing nuclear capabilities.
“I think they saw weakness,” Romney said of Iran’s view of America over the past four years, calling Obama’s handling of international scenarios “unacceptable.”
Romney also noted that Obama has not visited Israel as president, while also decrying his so-called “apology tour.” “You skipped Israel, our closest friend in the region,” the Republican candidate said, calling out the fact that Obama didn’t make a stop in America’s closest Middle Eastern ally when he toured the region at the beginning of his presidency.
Then, when Bob Schieffer of CBS News asked the president if America will defend Israel if they are attacked, he doubled-down in an effort to rebut Romney’s claims.
“I will stand with Israel if they are attacked,” Obama said, going on to speak out against Romney’s allegations.
Watch this portion of the debate, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 176 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 305 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl