TIME’s Joe Klein: Libya Controversy ‘Really Isn’t an Issue’
TIME’s Joe Klein weighed in over the weekend on the September 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, seemingly dismissing the entire situation in an effort to downplay the controversial aftermath.
“This business about the…Libya consulate has been like the October mirage — it really isn’t an issue,” he remarked on “Meet the Press.”
Klein was likely trying to exclusively reference the Republican claims that the administration has been misleading the country, but is coming under heavy fire for being so dismissive about an event that resulted in the gruesome deaths of four Americans.
Klein also said that President Obama and Mitt Romney have “essentially the same positions on foreign policy,” so Monday’s debate will be “fascinating.”
And so, once again…Obama is going to have a very strong position because his foreign policy has been largely successful in terms of substance, but in terms of style, he still has to climb — re-climb the mountain and make a convincing case to the American people that they will be more comfortable with him in their living rooms the next four years.
President Obama cites the killing of Osama bin Laden as one of the cornerstones of his foreign policy achievements and– until recently– credited the so-called “Arab Spring” for bringing freedom and democracy to the Middle East. After the attack in Libya, though officials have confirmed that the White House knew within 24 hours what really happened, the administration spent more than a week saying a YouTube video caused a spontaneous protest that killed four Americans.
Newsbusters’ Noel Sheppard wrote: “Honestly, have you ever in your life seen so many so-called journalists dismiss the importance of American officials being killed by terrorists?”
Watch a clip of his statements, via MRC-TV, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,031 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 250 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Egyptian state TV says 6 policemen, border guard abducted in Sinai have been released
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings