Ann Coulter in Tweet: ‘I Highly Approve of Romney’s Decision to Be Kind & Gentle to the Retard’
Conservative commentator and author Ann Coulter is known for her edgy proclamations and oft-times controversial take on the issues. Last night, while commenting about the final presidential debate, Coulter took to Twitter, where she seemingly used a less-than-complimentary word to describe either debate moderator Bob Schieffer or President Barack Obama — “retard.”
The pundit tweeted, ”I highly approve of Romney’s decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.” While she didn’t explicitly name the individual being targeted, based on the factors at play, one can only assume that it was either Obama or Schieffer.
As of Tuesday morning, the social media message had been re-tweeted (shared) 2,506 times and it was selected as a favorite message by 1,018 people.
In an article highlighting and deriding the controversial message, Mediaite’s Tommy Christopher wrote that Coulter, “crossed lines of decency untrod even by her standards.”
Politicker also noted that this isn’t the first time the commentator has come under fire for using the word, which many advocates view as an offensive term to people with special needs. A few weeks ago, Dan Niblock, a father of a child with Down syndrome, penned an article on NBC’s “Today” web site, demanding an apology for Coulter’s use of the word in a separate tweet.
“I want Ann Coulter to apologize for using a form of hate speech that is particularly searing to people who have special needs,” Niblock said. “This isn’t about Republicans versus Democrats, it’s about having class and a little decency.”
What do you think about Coulter’s use of the term? Let us know in the comments section.
This article has been updated.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 973 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 423 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 371 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 283 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 122 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 171 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Protesters chant 'Stop the IRS' in Cincinnati
- More attacks across Iraq kill 13 people
- Police release photos from Tucson shooting rampage
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Face-chewing victim recovering, strumming guitar
- Syria opposition signals tough line on peace talks
- Algerian president leaves Paris military hospital