Does a Presidential Candidate’s Religion Really Matter? (Take Our Faith & Politics Poll!)
Last week, TheBlaze and Patheos, the interactive faith portal, brought you an exploration covering what’s right — and wrong — about the role of religion in politics today. This week, the same diverse faith panel explores whether a political candidate’s religious adherence really matters.
While some will suggest that candidate’s personal beliefs aren’t important, others hold on to the notion that a politician’s personal convictions are essential to understanding his or her character (and, thus, whether he or she is worthy of electoral support). Regardless of where one stands, the role of religion in contemporary politics is undeniable.
Consider the furor and debate that unfolded after the Democratic Party removed references to “God” and pro-Israel sentiment from its official platform. And who could ignore the constant chatter about Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith (or Obama’s past allegiance to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his unconventional faith views)?
Clearly, faith still plays an important — and an often divisive — role in politics. Here are some perspectives surrounding this important subject:
Reasons Why Faith & Religion Do Matter
Patheos’ Timothy Dalrymple’s Take: Most people, when pressed, will acknowledge that there comes a point where a candidate’s religious beliefs will cause them to sour on his candidacy. We might prefer a competent Elvis-worshiper to an incompetent Christian, but we might still prefer a competent Christian to a competent Elvis-worshiper. And an atheist might well prefer a competent atheist to a competent Christian.
This is neither unconstitutional nor unreasonable. To prohibit the government from imposing a “religious test” is obviously not to require individual voters to ignore candidates’ religious beliefs in the voting booth. I find four reasons why religious beliefs are “fair game.” Read the rest of Dalrymple’s post…
Oklahoma State Rep. Rebecca Hamilton‘s Opinion: How does anyone judge which lies are total lies and which are partial truths when they’re trying to discern the facts about someone they’ve never met and who is being branded, packaged and sold to them like a can of corn?
That makes the question of faith even more important than it would normally be. Faith, for all its tricky points, is still a tough one to completely fake. Oh it can be done, but the doing of it almost requires a willing compliance on the part of those who are getting faked out. [...]
Does faith matter in this election? Absolutely. But the only faith that really matters is the one that empowers you and me to walk our talk of Christian faith in all aspects of our lives, including the political. Read the rest here…
What do you think? Does a candidate’s faith matter? Take the poll, below:
And read the rest of the responses from conservative and liberal bloggers, alike, as they answer the question, “Does a candidate’s faith really matter?”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 501 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 468 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 385 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 369 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 196 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 134 Comments
- This Depressing Chart Shows How Many More Americans Are Now on Food Stamps Compared to 10 Years Ago Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 100 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Nixon library hosts reunion for Vietnam POWs
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Judge declares mistrial in penalty phase of Jodi Arias trial; retrial scheduled for July
- Jury deadlocks again on life term or death for Jodi Arias
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach
- Hobby Lobby tests birth-control coverage mandate
- Correction: Oklahoma Tornado story