‘Seal Team 6′ Bin Laden Movie Edited to Feature More of Obama
President Obama often comes under fire for exaggerating his direct role in the killing of Osama bin Laden in May of 2011, but a new movie backed by mega-Democrat donor Harvey Weinstein has apparently been edited to feature the president even more.
Set to air just two days before the election on National Geographic– which has roughly 85 million viewers– the New York Times reports that “SEAL Team 6: The Raid on Osama bin Laden” was recut to feature news and documentary clips that bolster Obama’s presence throughout the film.
The New York Times continues:
In a joint interview on Tuesday Mr. Weinstein; the film’s director, John Stockwell; and others said the changes to the film were not politically motivated but were meant to give the film a stronger sense of realism. Some of the Obama moments were added at the suggestion of Mr. Weinstein, they said, using material gathered by Meghan O’Hara, a producer who worked closely with the documentarian Michael Moore on politically charged projects like “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Sicko.”
But Mr. Stockwell said he had included Mr. Obama as a character in his film from the beginning, and had actually shrunk his screen time somewhat. And Howard T. Owens, the chief executive of the National Geographic Channel, who joined the call, said his company had insisted on removing a scene that showed Mitt Romney appearing to oppose the raid.
“We wouldn’t air this if it were propaganda,” he said.
The scenes featuring Mr. Obama include an opening with him at the annual White House correspondents’ dinner just a day before the raid (which was added by Ms. O’Hara); another that catches him on a long, lonely walk as he presumably deliberates his weighty decision; and — without getting too deeply into spoilers — another that finds him declaring at the end, “Justice has been done.” [Emphasis added]
Stockwell included an essay titled, “Can a Movie Swing an Election?” in the official press kit, but reiterates that the film is not political. Rather, he explained, he was “struck by what a terrible ‘political’ decision Obama made in green-lighting the mission.”
When asked if they see anything questionable in the decision to air the film on November 4, National Geographic chief executive Howard T. Owens told the New York Times that “other than being commercially opportunistic,” they “weren’t considering the election.”
Government officials have already accused the White House of at least granting unusual access to the filmmakers, if not actually leaking privileged information to help bolster the film.
Stockwell, however, says his sources were “ex-Navy SEALS and sources within the intelligence community,” which could technically include officials close to the Obama administration.
What remains to be seen is whether, like Stockwell wrote, the movie will “swing” the election in Obama’s favor, or whether this too will alienate those who think Obama is taking too much credit for the decision to kill the most wanted terrorist in the world.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 375 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 311 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 156 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 266 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 113 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 113 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Oil tracks gains in stocks, erases early losses
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- New Victory Theater offers Bob Marley, Shakespeare
- Q&A: What is known about London attack
- Clashes in Lebanon feed fear of Syria spillover
- Anti-war protester shouts at Obama during speech