China Reportedly Just Cracked Down on Obama.com
The Obama campaign’s donation site “appears to [have been] built with an uncharacteristic lack of security where foreign donations are concerned,” TheBlaze’s Mytheos Holt reported earlier this month, allowing for the independently owned Obama.com to possibly solicit millions in foreign campaign contributions.
The campaign’s official website does not require visitors wishing to make a donation to provide their CCV number (the 3-4 digit code that appears on the back of most credit cards).
Now considering the fact that these unique codes can be used to indicate the location of the cardholder and the fact that Obama.com, which redirects users to the Obama campaign’s donation site, receives approximately 68 percent of its traffic from web addresses outside the U.S., according to a recent Government Accountability Institute report, it’s easy to see why some suspect the Obama campaign of illegally raising funds from foreign sources.
But now it seems the eyebrow-raising Obama.com has run into some trouble — with the Chinese.
“The Chinese government has blocked access to a Web site used as a conduit for donations to President Obama’s re-election,” according to a new report from The Post.
“The action comes following a report in Sunday’s Post that the Obama.com site had been registered to Robert Roche, an Obama campaign bundler who lives and works in China,” the report adds.
Oddly enough, the name of the company Roche chairs in Shanghai is Acorn International (no, it’s not what you think. It’s just an infomercial group).
“It’s a shocking revelation that the Chinese government wants to do something that the Obama campaign wouldn’t do. They’re more sensitive to American sovereignty and campaign-finance law than the Obama campaign,” GAI founder and co-chairman Steve Bannon told The Post.
But let’s back up for a second. Is it really that simple for a website owned by a U.S. businessman living in Shanghai to solicit foreign donations?
You’d be surprised.
Click here to learn more about how easy it is to illegally donate money to Obama’s campaign (with screen shots!)
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- Here’s How Easy It Is to Illegally Donate Money to Obama’s Campaign (See the Screenshots)
- Explosive Report: Obama Campaign Website Lacks Important Tool to Prevent Illegal Donations
This story has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 597 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 522 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 410 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 341 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 298 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 296 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 154 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- David Beckham's soccer career officially over
- 2-child limit for Muslims in parts of Myanmar
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- A list of previous Palme d'Or winners at Cannes
- Iranian director facing jail appears in Cannes
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner
- Palme d'Or race wide open at Cannes Film Festival