CNN Founder Ted Turner to Piers Morgan: ‘It’s Good’ More Soldiers Are Committing Suicide Than Dying in Combat
Media mogul Ted Turner appeared on CNN’s “Piers Morgan” last Friday, where he made a shocking statement about military suicides. Rather than discussing the tragic elements associated with the trend of men and women in uniform taking their own lives, the CNN founder said that this phenomenon is actually a “good” thing.
An official transcript from the network outlines, word-for-word, Turner’s bizarre statement:
MORGAN: You made the point to me in the break there, more American servicemen have –
TURNER: — are dying now from suicide over there than are dying in combat.
MORGAN: That’s shocking, isn’t it?
TURNER: Well, what — no, I think it’s — I think it’s good, because it’s so clear that we’re programmed and we’re born to love and help each other, not to kill each other, to destroy each other. That’s an aberration. That’s left over from hundreds of years ago. It’s time for to us start acting enlightened.
MORGAN: What’s it like to give away a billion dollars? I can’t even imagine.
TURNER: It was a third of what I had at the time. So it was significant. You can’t do it very often. But — so I made a special occasion out of it. It was — you know, it was for the United Nations to help the poorest people in the world.
Before saying “I think it’s good,” it almost sounds as though Turner was going to use a different descriptive (i.e. terrific or terrible), although it is tough to be sure. On another bizarre note, after making the proclamation about military suicides outpacing combat deaths, Turner said, “It’s time for to us start acting enlightened.”
Judging from the text, above, one obviously wonders why Morgan didn’t push him further on the issue. Rather than digging deeper as to how such a development could be labeled “good,” he moved on, asking, “What’s it like to give away a billion dollars?”
Watch the footage, below:
Considering the dearth of follow-up questions and the network’s decision not to display the story prominently, there are numerous curiosities worth exploring. Was the story purposefully buried? Why didn’t Morgan, who has been more than harsh on social conservatives (i.e. Kirk Cameron) who appear on his show, search for clarification and firmer answers?
Let us know what you think in the comments section.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools