Crazy Fish Tales: Carp Having It Out for Reporters and Sharks Falling Onto Golf Course Greens
The invasive and destructive nature of Asian carp in the United States has become an evergreen story for reporters. But it seems that the carp are beginning to strike back against their media fame.
One of the latest stories of carp backlash was experienced by Nashville Channel 4 reporter Carley Gordon. Gordon was filming a report about the growing carp population in the area and bravely held one of the fish while she spoke.
Just as she was saying “And look they’re big. This is one is about 12 pounds but they can grow to be about…” insert squeal here as the fish wiggles out of Gordon’s hand. Stunned by the writhing creature she stumbles backward, not only falling over herself but knocking over the fisherman who was on the boat as well.
The clip, which Gordon posted on YouTube and promoted as “too funny not to share” on Twitter, has begun going viral. Anderson Cooper featured it on his RidicuList last night.
Cooper introduces the story as being about “crazy carp.”
“Yeah, that’s right,” he said. “They’re carp and they’re crazy.”
Watch the clip in which Cooper shows more than just this one incident of carp taking out their wrath on reporters:
So is it a trend? We’re not sure, but in any case reporters be warned. Here’s the original clip from Gordon if you’re interested in seeing it in full:
In other quirky fish news, it wasn’t raining on the greens of San Juan Hills Golf Club in California Monday afternoon, but something did appear to fall from the sky or come out of nowhere — and it wasn’t cats, dogs or men. It was a 2-foot-long shark.
The Capistrano Dispatch (via the Daily Mail) reported that a leopard shark was found alive and thrashing in the 12th tee box. The slightly bloody animal was put into a bucket with water and a little bit of salt by golf course maintenance, who later drove it to Baby Beach in Dana Point, four miles from the course.
So how did the shark end up on dry land so far away from its natural habitat? The newspaper reported Julianne Steers, chief aquarist at the Ocean Institute nearby, saying a large predatory bird could have been flying with it and dropped it or a human could have put it there.
Director of Club Operations Melissa McCormack told the Dispatch it was “the weirdest thing that’s happened here.”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 378 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 169 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 282 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 122 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 121 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' deaths
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Council members abstain from vote on abstaining
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- Big stores nix credit card settlement, file suit
- Distraught mom becomes face of Oklahoma storm
- IMF chief Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes