‘Deadly Force’: TX Trooper Kills 2 During Car Chase With Vehicle Suspected of Carrying Illegals
MCALLEN, Texas (TheBlaze/AP) — Three people were found wounded, two fatally, in a vehicle that was fired upon by a Texas state trooper in a helicopter. Those in the vehicle were suspected of being — or carrying — illegal immigrants.
The incident happened Thursday afternoon near the South Texas border with Mexico near the town of La Joya (HOY’-yah), about 70 miles northwest of Brownsville. The Monitor has more about how the event unfolded:
The pursuit began after a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department game warden tried to pull over a vehicle suspected of smuggling immigrants Thursday afternoon along FM 2221.
A DPS helicopter was called in to assist in the pursuit and a sharpshooter opened fire on the evading vehicle — a policy permitted by the agency, two law enforcement sources not authorized to comment on the investigation said.
DPS troopers are the only law enforcement in the Rio Grande Valley region permitted to open fire during chases.
Various agencies — Border Patrol, La Joya police, Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office — were present at the desolate, rural area alongside DPS well into the night. Authorities set up blockades at least a mile out from the scene.
After dark, a red pickup truck with no apparent damage — except a blown, rear driver’s-side tire — was towed away from the area where police were working.
Katherine Cesinger (SEHS’-ihn-jur) of the Texas Department of Public Safety says a DPS aircraft was helping a state game warden in a high-speed pursuit when the DPS officer on the aircraft opened fire.
“We do not want to speculate on any other issues at this time and have no further information,” Cesinger wrote in an e-mail following the incident.
She says two people from the vehicle died, one was injured and six others were arrested. She called the shooting “an enforcement action” but declined to say whether police caused the deaths and injuries. She says the Texas Rangers are investigating and no other information was available.
Questions surround why deadly force was used during the chase, specifically considering that at least one source claims the men weren’t armed.
“This is going to get big really, really fast. You have a law enforcement official shooting at an unarmed alien,” explained one local law enforcement source. “This is not an excuse for deadly force.”
An investigation is ongoing.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 398 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire