19-Year-Old Injured After His Attempt to Jump Over a Moving Car to Impress College Recruiters Goes Horribly Wrong
A Florida teenager is recovering after his attempt to jump over a moving car in a bid to impress college football recruiters went horribly awry Wednesday.
Police in Palm Bay said Bladimir Barreto, 19, was conscious and bleeding when he was flown by helicopter to a trauma center for treatment, Florida Today reported. He had several broken bones and head injuries, and required 89 stitches in one leg, WKMG-TV reported.
“He’s lucky that it wasn’t worse than what it was,” Palm Bay Police Department spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez told the newspaper. “The motive was apparently to video something to show to college recruiters for football.”
Graphic video of the botched stunt shot by Barreto’s brother shows Barreto sprinting on a roadway toward an oncoming white car driven by another brother. Barreto is hurtled into the air and flips several times before slamming to the ground.
Content warning — graphic images
Paramedics were on the scene within minutes working to stabilize him, according to Florida Today.
“I feel really bad for them, I know they weren’t expecting that at all,” Cameron Tennant, a longtime friend who went to school with the Barretos, told WKMG. “I mean he’s always doing stuff like that and he’s always getting it right, so I guess he just got over confident.”
As the Huffington Post noted, Barreto may have been inspired by a 2008 viral Nike ad that showed Kobe Bryant seemingly leaping over a moving Aston Martin. In the ad, Bryant warned viewers not to try it themselves.
Police said reckless driving charges are pending for the 17-year-old brother who was behind the wheel, as well as for not having a valid license, according to Florida Today.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 403 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 350 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 290 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 203 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 109 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- Cannes: Scott Thomas' glorious dip into darkness
- Benghazi review leader OKs meeting with committee
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill
- Stocks fall on news Fed weighed cutting stimulus