Sen. Marco Rubio’s 12-Year-Old Daughter in Stable Condition After Being Airlifted to Florida Hospital
LAKEWOOD CREST, Fla. (TheBlaze/AP) — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio’s 12-year-old daughter was airlifted to Miami Children’s Hospital after an accident in a golf cart Saturday.
“While visiting with classmates, she was a passenger on a golf cart involved in a collision in a private gated community,” Rubio spokesman Alex Conant wrote. “She was airlifted to Miami Children’s Hospital with a head injury. She has been admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.”
The Republican senator was reportedly notified shortly after walking off stage at a rally with GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, and according to reports, he left the Romney motorcade soon after.
After being dropped off, according to Yahoo, Rubio jumped over a highway barricade and into a waiting Florida Highway Patrol car, which drove off at a brisk pace with its lights flashing.
Miami-Dade County Commissioner and family friend Rebeca Sosa said Rubio’s daughter, the oldest of his four children, “had a concussion,” but didn’t elaborate. The important thing now, she said, is that Rubio is with his daughter.
“Senator and Mrs. Rubio are grateful for all the outpouring of support and prayers,” Rubio spokesman Conant added.
The senator campaigned with Romney at two Florida rallies on Saturday and was scheduled to attend a third before being picked up by the state police cruiser along Romney’s motorcade route.
Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul related: “Governor Romney spoke with Senator Rubio and expressed his concern and hope for Amanda Rubio’s quick recovery.”
This post has been updated to reflect new information.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 991 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 430 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 381 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 292 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 139 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 177 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases