Is There Life After Death? Scientist Attempts to Explain What Happens to the Human ‘Soul’
Over the past two years, the afterlife has been a subject of increased conversation in media. Most recently, Dr. Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon, shared his own story of an alleged elevation to heaven during a near-death experience. TheBlaze has also told Colton Burpo’s story, the young boy who claims that heaven is, indeed, a real locality. Now, Dr. Stuart Hameroff, a scientist who studies quantum consciousness, is attempting to explain what happens to the “soul” after death.
In a recent episode of “Through the Wormhole,” a series on the Science television channel that is narrated by actor Morgan Freeman, Hameroff shared his views on life after death. According to the scientist, who is professor emeritus at the Departments of Anesthesiology and Psychology and the Director of the Center of Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona, understanding consciousness is key to comprehending a variety of elements that continue to attract controversy.
Specifically, better understanding the dynamic would help to simmer debate surrounding what occurs during near-death experiences and what happens to the soul after death. Consciousness, according to Hameroff, is essentially part of the universe at large, a concept that, at the surface, is relatively complex. The Huffington Post has more about the researcher’s controversial theories:
According to Dr. Hameroff, in a near-death experience, when the heart stops beating, the blood stops flowing, and the microtubules lose their quantum state, the quantum information in the microtubules isn’t destroyed. It’s distributed to the universe at large, and if the patient is revived, the quantum information can go back to the microtubules. In this event, the patient says they had something like a near-death experience, i.e. they saw white light or a tunnel or floated out of their body. In the event that the patient is not revived, “it’s possible that the quantum information can can exist outside the body, perhaps indefinitely, as a soul,” he said.
Hameroff essentially believes that the human soul may actually be constructed from the very fabric of the universe. Quantum information, which purportedly exists within each person, in the scientist’s view, can potentially live beyond the body.
“I believe that consciousness, or its immediate precursor proto-consciousness, has been in the universe all along, perhaps from the Big Bang,” Hammeroff explains.
Here’s more about the theory, below:
This is especially fascinating, considering Alexander’s story, which was also captured for an episode of “Through the Wormhole.” You can read his story here or watch him explain it below:
Considering all of these elements, those who embrace religion may see these stories and theories as explanations of a system that is overseen by God. After all, if there is, indeed, a higher power who created the universe, why wouldn’t the human souls he also formed be an integral part of that system?
The theories are certainly fascinating, as they add to the overarching discussion and debate about what happens after death.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 418 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested