PETA Wants Roadside Memorial for Fish Killed in Car Crash on Way to Market
IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — Animal activists want a California roadside memorial sign to honor fish killed during a container truck crash.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals volunteer Dina Kourda told Irvine’s street maintenance chief the sign would remind drivers that fish value their lives and feel pain.
About 1,600 pounds of saltwater bass died on Oct. 11 when the truck hauling them to market got into a three-way crash.
Kourda’s letter acknowledges roadside memorials traditionally honor humans, but she hopes an exception will be made.
Irvine spokesman Craig Reem says there won’t be a fish memorial.
But PETA spokeswoman Asheley Byrne said they will go back and ask again.
It’s not the first time PETA has asked to post a memorial for animals killed on their way to slaughter.
They’ve tried to honor pigs killed in Virginia and cows killed in crashes in Illinois, Kansas, and Manitoba, Canada, Byrne said, but none have been approved.
It’s their first fish effort. They will continue trying for memorials when trucks carrying animals to slaughter are involved in crashes and there is a heavy death toll.
“They are on their way to slaughter, which is, of course, pretty hellish. To suffer an accident on the way and be left in the middle of the street is unthinkable,” Byrne said.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 482 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 450 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 436 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 321 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 144 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists
- Fire official: 18 injured in crash between shuttle bus, tractor-trailer near Atlanta airport
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load