First Lady Speaks Highly of ‘10-Year-Olds’ Phone Banking for Her Husband
First Lady Michelle Obama spoke at a campaign event in Iowa City, Iowa Sunday where, according to the transcript released by the White House, she jokingly praised children who phone bank for her husband’s re-election effort.
After saying it’s “breathtaking” how much power people have to influence their friends and neighbors to vote, Michelle said “young people” in particular hold sway.
The White House transcript relates:
…here’s something that I always remind young people, because I’ve met so young people over these four years who said — told me, my parents and grandparents were not going to vote for Barack in 2008 until I talked to them and I told them what this election means for my future, and because of that conversation they voted for him. Now, that’s the power that young people can have.
And it doesn’t matter how old you are. I’ve had 10-year-olds who are on a phone bank — (laughter) — 14-year-olds. I mean, I’m telling you, there is power because this is your future… [Emphasis added]
The first lady seemingly upped the age from 10 to 14 after laughter from the crowd, but either way, perhaps it’s a little young to be working on a presidential campaign?
Conservative commenters have drawn comparisons to a recent pro-Obama ad featuring young children singing about an America where “sick people just die” and “oil fills the sea” under Republican leadership, inquiring where the line between educating your kids and indoctrinating them falls. Others inquired how a future with unprecedented debt could be a preferable option for the children.
One commenter asked the first lady: “Ever heard of child labor laws?”
(H/T: The Daily Caller)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 531 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 457 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 343 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 277 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- 25 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers