Update: Gay GOP Campaign Volunteer Recants Alleged Hate Crime Attack Story
On Friday, TheBlaze reported about the shocking allegations that a Republican campaign volunteer was beaten and hospitalized in an alleged anti-gay attack at his home. Now, just days later, Kyle Wood, the man at the center of the drama, has reportedly retracted his story, claiming that the attack did not unfold as he originally claimed in widespread media interviews.
Originally, the openly-gay Republican claimed that his sexuality was the basis for the violent attack — and that anti-gay messaging were painted on his car in a separate incident the week before. Wood detailed the purported assault, which he said landed him in the hospital, in an interview with conservative news outlet The Daily Caller.
“I was getting ready for work and there was a knock at the door,” Wood said in an e-mail interview. “I opened it, and a guy wrapped a ligature around my neck, slammed my head into the doorway, and smashed my face into a mirror, telling me ‘You should have kept your [f**king] mouth shut.’”
According to Wood, the violence didn’t end there. The assailant apparently continued beating him, while claiming that the victim was previously “warned” (we’ll come back to that in a moment); the attacker also “kidney-punched” him.
In an interview this afternoon with Madison Police detectives, the victim in this case recanted his earlier statements in regards to this crime. This crime, alleged to have occurred on High Street in the South Police District, will be cleared as “Unfounded” for case reporting purposes. Once follow up investigation is completed, MPD’s case file will be reviewed with Dane County District Attorney’s Office.
According to The Huffington Post, Wood has not yet spoken publicly following his meeting with police on Monday. Madison Police Capt. Joe Balles did say, in the wake of the new revelations, that Wood could face prosecution for falsely reporting a hate crime. Despite this potential development, the police also noted that they do not wish to take actions that would dissuade others from reporting legitimate crimes.
“We’re in the victims business. We really need victims to come forward,” Balles said in an interview with The Daily Page. “We don’t take matters like this lightly.”
Perhaps most troubling is the image of the supposed injuries that Wood submitted to The Daily Caller. TheBlaze shared this picture as well in our first news report about the incident (it can be viewed above). If the scenario, as originally stated, isn’t accurate, one wonders how these injuries were sustained.
Wood was a volunteer with Wisconsin Republican Chad Lee’s House campaign. Lee’s campaign released a statement explaining that “a deeply troubled volunteer misled police, news outlets and our own team in regards to events that he alleged.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 158 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview