5 Unusual Ways Sandy Victims Are Charging Cellphones (See the Photos)
TheBlaze has already brought you some tips for making cellphone power last as long as possible. But as many along the East Coast are still without power after Hurricane Sandy left Monday night, battery conservation efforts are just not enough anymore.
This is where New Yorkers and others without electricity are getting creative. We’ve pulled together photos from a few novel ways and locations that those affected by the storm have found to juice up their gadgets — beyond the usual car charging activity.
- Group charging: Some places like Starbucks, drug stores, banks and even at a news truck have been gathering points for those hooking up to multi-plug power strips.
- Taking it to the streets: Although you might think outlets are hard to come by, they could actually be lining city streets. In desperation, some have found that lamp posts have a small metal flap that when unscrewed reveals a glorious outlet. Business Insider’s Rob Wile saw it happening first hand 47th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. Other lamp posts without outlets have reportedly been hot-wired according to the New York Post, to charge devices. The Post reports a former homeless man who used to do this a lot saying he stopped after he received an electrical shock. It reports DOT spokesman Nicholas Mosquera saying tampering with the wires could be dangerous.
- Trunk charger: The Huffington Post’s Joe Van Brussel caught a group of New Yorkers crouched around an outlet they found screwed into the trunk of a tree.
- Loiter while you still can: Any buildings with a visible outlet outside of it are seeing crowds gathered like campers around a warm fire.
- Digital Good Samaritans: Some neighbors are even opening their homes as charging stations (see a picture here).
Until the day comes when your own footsteps can power your cellphone, kudos to those finding interesting ways to keep gadgets running in the mean time.
If you have photos of innovative cellphone charging methods that you’d like to share, then them to email@example.com.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 532 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 468 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 458 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 344 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- 25 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers