These Are the Shockingly Long Gas Lines in New York and New Jersey After Sandy
NEW YORK (TheBlaze/AP) — Filling stations with “No Gas” signs taped to the pumps are confronting drivers across New York City and coastal New Jersey amid fuel shortages following Superstorm Sandy.
Those lucky enough to find stations with gas for sale face long lines to reach the pumps.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Saturday implemented a gas-rationing system reminiscent of the 1970s, where residents with license plates ending in an even number are able to purchase gas only on even-numbered days and those with odd-numbered plates can buy it on odd-numbered days.
The gas crisis is expected to end within days as electricity comes back across the region, allowing fuel to be pumped from refineries, through pipelines, off tanker ships, out of terminals and to gas stations.
But in the meantime, getting gas for vehicles and home generators can mean protracted hunts for open stations and then hours spent in line.
In Staten Island, drivers seemed to be taking the long wait with calm. Sammy Cruz sat for three hours Saturday and still had 20 cars in front of him.
“People are happy to be getting something,” he said. “Nobody’s complaining.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 237 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 191 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 102 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 123 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 140 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters