Breathtaking Footage Shows the Moment a Plane Crashes into a Moving Vehicle in Texas
When William Davis asked his wife Kandy to record his first solo round-trip flight, he probably didn’t think the video would make national news. He also probably didn’t think he would crash into a moving car.
At Northwest Regional Airport in Texas over the weekend, Davis was landing his plane when he collided with a moving SUV. Miraculously no one was killed, but officials are still trying to determine how exactly it happened.
According to reports, cars aren’t supposed to drive in that area when planes are taking off and landing.
“When cars cross that area they are supposed to stop and wait for any airplanes,” Deputy Chief Gilbert Caldwell of the Roanoke Fire Department explained. “Either the plane didn’t see the car or the car didn’t see the plane.”
Here are some still shots from the breathtaking video:
“We couldn’t see anything at all, and then… all of a sudden… equipment was falling into the car,” Heather Laudo, one of the two people in the car at the time, remarked:
According to WFAA, it’s unclear whether Heather Laudo and her husband Frank even knew what hit them.
In the aftermath of the crash, airport manager Glen Hyde can be heard on Kandy Davis’ recording yelling, “Is anybody hurt?”
Hyde grabbed his first aid kit and ran to the Laudos’ vehicle. He immediately asked them whether they saw the stop sign… or the approaching plane.
“Whatever that is, it fell. Whatever that it is it hit our car,” they said.
“That is the landing gear,” Hyde responded. “You got hit by an airplane.”
“I know that!” Heather Laudo said in the recording.
“Why did you pull out if front of an airplane, is what I wanna know?” Hyde asked.
“We didn’t see it,” Frank Laudo said.
“We didn’t pull out in front of an airplane,” Heather Laudo added.
“Yes, you did!” Kandy Davis said. [Emphasis added]
Davis is thankful no one was killed in the accident, but won’t be making the same mistake twice. Though he’s apparently only a few weeks away from obtaining his pilot’s license, Davis said he probably won’t be flying again any time soon.
“Things like that make you reconsider what is important and what could have happened,” he concluded. “I have a young daughter and a wife, and they need me to be there to take care of them.”
Here’s the unbelievable video:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 501 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 461 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 458 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 100 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 188 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 127 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Ruby says her sworn statements were lies
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Roger Federer, always at Grand Slam tournaments
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul