As World Watches Presidential Race, Russians Roots for Obama
Russia: The West’s former arch-nemesis turned quasi-democracy whose leaders still teeter on the razor’s edge when it comes to foreign policy, will undoubtedly be affected by the outcome of the 2012 U.S. presidential election. Most accounts indicate that Russian President Vladimir Putin feels he stands to benefit from an Obama second-term, and according to a recent poll by the Levada Center, the majority of Russians agree. In short, Russians think that Barack Obama better serves Russia’s national interests.
In the nationwide poll, 41 percent of Russians said they would like to see Obama reelected, while a mere 8 percent preferred GOP contender Mitt Romney.
Among those who favor Obama, 25 percent are reportedly well-educated with 65 percent hailing from “above average” income levels. Those who prefer Romney, meanwhile, are mostly women and those from the younger demographic, according to the poll. Interestingly, the poll also indicated the Romney fares well among Russia’s lower-income demographics.
In an article for “National Interest,” Ariel Cohen explains what is at play:
Under Obama’s “reset” policy, Russia got what it wanted: a START ballistic missile reduction agreement that benefited Moscow; U.S. prolonged involvement in Afghanistan, where Americans are killing those who may threaten Russia’s allies and its own soft underbelly; the de-facto recognition of Russia’s “sphere of exclusive interests” in the former Soviet Union, and a much-coveted membership in the World Trade Organization.
Cohen noted in a previous article that Putin is building his “fortress Russia” without so much as a peep from Washington. It also bears mention that Russians harbor a desire to weaken America’s standing on the world stage, thus giving Russia more power, particularly within the UN Security Council.
“Finally,” Cohen writes, “the Kremlin wants stability at home, preventing the opposition from seriously challenging the current ruling elite’s grip on power and maintaining the tremendous wealth of the largest country on the planet.”
Clearly, Putin and his supporters believe their goals will ultimately be better realized with four more years of an Obama administration.
Below Russians share their views on the upcoming U.S. presidential election:
Russian-Americans, meanwhile, most of whom fled the oppression of the former Soviet Union, tend to favor conservative policies and candidates as they are all too aware of the destruction socialism brought to bear.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,000 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 439 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 162 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 193 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot