Did Springsteen’s Call From Air Force One to Chris Christie Just Confirm That Obama Will Win?
(Photo source: AP)
Non-nonsense New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has been showing a softer side since Hurricane Sandy ravaged his homestate. The candid Republican has even drawn the ire of some conservatives for heaping effusive praise on President Obama for his handling of the crisis. Now, another unexpected love-fest has emerged between Christie and his longtime unrequited love, and fellow New Jersey counterpart, Bruce Springsteen. In fact, he was even moved to tears by a recent encounter.
Speaking Monday at a briefing on storm recovery, Christie explained how he, much to his surprise, spoke with “The Boss” earlier in the day. Christie had been discussing the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy with Obama when the president handed the phone to Springsteen, who was traveling with him on Air Force One as part of a campaign tour, according to the Associated Press.
Christie also revealed that he got a hug from the veteran rocker at Friday’s benefit concert for storm victims, and that he was deeply moved by the gesture. Springsteen, a staunch liberal, had never acknowledged the Republican governor before even though Christie has attended more than 100 of his concerts.
Christie acknowledged weeping at home after meeting his longtime idol.
“We hugged,” Christie said. “He told me it’s official: We’re friends. I told the president today, actually, that the hug was great and when we got home, there was a lot of weeping because of the hug. And the president asked why. I said, ‘Well, to be honest, I was the one doing the weeping.’ ”
Oddly, Christie, who still supports Governor Romney’s bid for the presidency and who was the keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention, reportedly turned down Romney’s request to join him at a Sunday-evening rally in Pennsylvania.
Romney campaign spokeswoman Gail Gitcho insisted the move was not a snub.
“He’s [Christie is] always invited to attend our events,” Gitcho told the Boston Globe. “We reached out to his staff to let them know that we would be in the area campaigning, but we never expected him to come because [he] is dealing with Sandy recovery.”
So could this gesture affect the presidential election? National Review’s Rich Lowry believes Christie’s latest antics have indeed hurt Romney, saying he agreed with a New York Post editorial begging the New Jersey governor to come out in an even stronger display of support for Romney.
“That kind of show of support might have been particularly important to Romney (and convenient for Christie) in the Philadelphia suburbs,” Lowry writes. “But now it’s too late.”
Watch Christie’s remarks below in which he acknowledges his tearful moment:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 471 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Gang of 8 needs to fix massive Obamacare loophole with immigration bill
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Togo police fire tear gas at protesters
- McQuaid: Panel to study UCI-Armstrong 'collusion'
- Jewelry stolen a 2nd time during Cannes festival
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Jerry Lewis repeats his distaste for female comics