Celebrity political endorsements — at least when it comes to Hollywood — typically go to Democratic candidates. Throughout the 2012 campaign, this has been exemplified, with President Barack Obama attracting the attention and support of a plethora of A-listers.
Republican candidate Mitt Romney, of course, has had a few actresses throw their weight behind him, although the number is far smaller than the president’s Tinseltown following. But what about sports figures?
Deadspin put together an interesting list of well-known athletes who are supporting Obama and Romney. First, we’ll give you the pool of athletes and sports figures hoping for the president’s re-election. Then, we’ll give you a run-down of Romney’s supporters.
Athletes Who Support Obama
As per Deadspin, here are the pro-Obama folks (click the links to see more information about their endorsements):
- Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles
- Michael Jordan, Charlotte Bobcats owner
- LeBron James, Miami Heat
- Chris Kluwe, Minnesota Vikings
- Stuart Scott, ESPN
- David Stern, NBA commissioner
- Chris Bosh, Miami Heat
- Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs coach
- Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
Athletes Who Support Romney
And here’s the list of athletes who are throwing their support behind Romney:
- Jason Babin, Philadelphia Eagles
- Tom Sestito, Philadelphia Flyers
- Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia 76ers
- Jeremy Roenick, retired NHL player
- Danny Ainge, Boston Celtics executive
- Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
- Vince and Linda McMahon, World Wrestling Entertainment*
- Daryl Morey, Houston Rockets general manager
- Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
So, there you have it — athletes taking a stand this electoral season.