Report: Anti-Semitic Attacks in the U.S. Are at a 20-Year Low
In October 2011, TheBlaze reported on the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), an organization that fights against anti-Semitism, and the group’s annual study that, at the time, observed an increase in anti-Jewish crimes. This year, however, the same study has some encouraging results: Anti-Semitic crimes have decreased and are at a 20-year-low.
The ADL’s 2011 “Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents” found that the number of annual incidents decreased by 13 percent last year. With 1,080 assaults, acts of vandalism and instances of harassment occurring in 2011, a major decrease is observed (there were 1,239 of the same incidents reported in 2010).
While this decline is a positive step, a more notable benchmark has been reached — the 2011 report marks the lowest number of incidents reported by the ADL in the last 20 years.
While the numbers have been trending downward over the past few years, the 2010 audit shocked some when it found that the 1,239 reported anti-Semitic instances marked a slight uptick from the 1,211 that were reported in 2009. However, this year, the downward trajectory is back in place and has fallen to a level of assaults unforeseen over the past two decades.
The incidents that were observed by the ADL were recorded in 45 states and Washington, D.C. Of the cases included in the 2011 numbers were 19 physical assaults on Jewish peoples, 330 cases of vandalism and 731 instances of threats and harassment. A press release further explains the audit:
The annual Audit tracks incidents of vandalism, harassment and physical assaults against Jewish individuals, property and community institutions across the United States, using data gathered by the League’s 30 regional offices and law enforcement agencies across the country. The Audit provides an annual snapshot of the problem of anti-Semitism and assists with the identification of national trends and changes in the types of activity reported. The 2011 ADL Audit includes incidents recorded in 45 states and Washington D.C….
“It is encouraging that over the past five or six years we have seen a consistent decline in the number of anti-Semitic incidents across the country and that the numbers are now at a historic low,” explained ADL national director Abraham H. Foxman. “To the extent that these incidents serve as a barometer, the decline shows that we have made progress as a society in confronting anti-Semitism and pushing it to the far fringes, making expressions of anti-Jewish hatred unacceptable.”
Of course, Foxman noted that some crimes, like anti-Semitic content on the internet, cannot be qualified. While progress has been made, more work is needed to combat anti-Jewish bias. Read the 2011 “Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents” here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 382 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Jury in Arias case gives up after no consensus
- Syrian state media: Rebels attack prison in north
- I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
- No guarantee of peace, NKorean envoy warns China
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Syrian govt to take part in peace conference