What Was Mitt Romney Doing the Morning After Losing the Election? Winning
The morning after the election, as conservatives everywhere were still trying to come to terms with the reality of another four years of President Barack Obama, the now former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney was busy being a dad, husband and grandfather. A winner.
In a heartwarming photo tweeted by Garret Jackson, one of Romney’s close personal aides, the Republican can be seen unwinding on Wednesday morning, surrounded by his kids and grandchildren near his campaign headquarters in Boston, an exhausting and hard fought presidential campaign now officially behind him. The Romney clan can be seen drinking a gallon of chocolate milk.
“Gov hanging out with family this morning. What an incredible family. So blessed to be so close to them,” the accompanying message read.
As it turns out, Tuesday night was a win-win for Romney — and he won big. He will have more time to spend with the people he loves; his wife Ann, his kids, his grandchildren. And while Romney will not become the next president of the United States, it reminds us that there is much more to life than politics. Yes, the battles in Washington, D.C. will undoubtedly rage on, but the picture above proves that the most important things in life can never be taken from us — not by an out-of-control government, not by any one president.
So, what does the future hold for Romney? The former Massachusetts governor plans to make the significant transition out of the public eye for the time being. He plans to “reflect and spend time with his family” before determining exactly what his next move will be, according to an advisor.
“I don’t look at post-election to be a time of regrouping. Instead it’s a time of forward focus,” Romney told reporters aboard his plane Tuesday evening as he returned to Boston after the final campaign stop of his political career. “I have, of course, a family and life important to me, win or lose.”
It wasn’t immediately clear if Romney will seek an ongoing role in a Republican Party. With a successful career in the private sector, he could secure a position in private business. Those close to Romney also suggest he could purse philanthropic opportunities or even play a role in the Olympics after having led the 2002 Winter Games.
“He’s not a guy who’s going to stay still, right,” said Russ Schriefer, one of Romney’s top strategists. “He’s not a guy that’s just going to hit a beach, play a lot of golf. He’ll do something.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 159 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 112 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony