Apparently, Making Fun of Osama Bin Laden and His ‘Brother’ Warrants a Military Investigation: ‘Islamophobia’
(TheBlaze/AP) — Canada’s military is investigating the circumstances surrounding a video played during a formal dinner that featured an unidentified member of the Canadian Forces pretending to be Osama bin Laden’s brother, the commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force said. That’s right, as in the brother of the al-Qaeda leader behind a terrorist attack that killed thousands of Americans on Sept. 11, 2001.
Lieutenant-General Yvan Blondin said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Thursday that he was recently informed of complaints that the video was inappropriate and culturally insensitive. He said those involved may face administrative, disciplinary or corrective action.
The man playing bin Laden’s brother wears brown makeup, a turban, a fake beard and speaks with a thick accent in a four-minute excerpt of the video obtained by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. A woman playing the role of a news anchor interviews the character, who jokes that his brother always gets all the credit for their work. He refuses to reveal where bin Laden is hiding.
Here is a portion of the video:
The video was shown at a mess dinner at 14 Wing Greenwood base in Nova Scotia in 2010. At the time, Canada was still involved in a combat mission in Afghanistan, which ended last year. About 950 Canadian soldiers remain in Afghanistan in a training, noncombat role.
Blondin offered an apology to anyone who might have been offended and said the military has “zero tolerance for acts that do not reflect our Canadian values, especially the respect we owe to other cultures and religions.”
Defense Minister Peter MacKay said he was awaiting the results of the investigation.
“Religious and cultural tolerance are important and necessary components of any national and professional institution, including the Canadian Forces, and I know the contents of this video do not represent the wider military community and its leadership,” said MacKay.
He said that while members of the Canadian forces are heroes, “like all of us, they are not infallible.”
The Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations said it is tragic that days before Canada is set to celebrate its military history on Remembrance Day “an ignorant prank threatens to cast a shadow on our heritage.”
Ihsaan Gardee, the executive director of the council, said the organization is heartened by Blondin’s decision to launch an investigation.
“We have full confidence that a thorough investigation will hold those responsible to account and send a strong signal that xenophobia and Islamophobia will not be tolerated,” Gardee said.
What do you think, offensive video or political correctness gone wild?
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 571 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 489 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 367 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 271 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 252 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split