Christian Pastors Issue Dire Warnings After Obama Win: God ‘Will Judge Sin’ & ‘It Won’t Be Pretty’
Evangelical preachers who came out strongly for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney (and even some who didn’t endorse) have voiced their angst in the wake of President Barack Obama’s re-election victory. But in addition to showcasing their personal dissatisfaction with the results, they also issued warnings of Biblical proportions.
On Wednesday, the Rev. Franklin Graham, son of famed evangelical leader Billy Graham, was candid about his fears for America’s future. After celebrating his father’s 94th birthday, Graham issued some apocalyptic-esque warnings to the American electorate.
“Unless we’re willing to repent for our sins, we will stand in [God's] judgment,” he proclaimed. “I want to warn America: God is coming around. He will judge sin, and it won’t be pretty.”
Graham also proclaimed that America may be risking God’s blessings, seeing as the Lord purportedly “brings bedlam when countries turn their back on him.” The faith leader warned that the Almighty may “withdraw his hand of protection.”
Then there’s Fred Luter, the first African American president of the Southern Baptist Convention. While he reiterated his belief that Christians should be praying for the nation’s leader, regardless of party affiliation, he also claimed that America is “in trouble.”
“As citizens of the United States, it’s now time for us to put away our yard signs and buttons and [pray for] our president,” Luter said in a Baptist Press interview. “Our nation is in trouble, and we need Believers to pray God’s will be done in America. We need to understand it’s only going to happen because the people of God start praying for revival in America.”
On the issues front, many evangelicals are fearful moving forward regarding what, exactly, a second Obama term will mean for issues like gay marriage and abortion. Southern Baptist Theological Seminary president R. Albert Mohler Jr., in the wake of the president’s re-election victory, said that evangelical Christians ”must see the 2012 election as a catastrophe for crucial moral concerns.”
Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research, also touched upon this theme when he outlined some of the lessons and considerations that believers may need to embrace in the wake of Obama’s presidential win. Among his claims, he provides the hard-to-swallow (for evangelicals, anyway) notion that Christians may be on the losing side of the nation’s culture war:
“We must face the reality that we may be on the losing side of the culture war. For decades, the ‘religious right’ has focused its energies on winning the day through political means. But this year, voters in more than one state appear to have clearly passed referenda supporting gay marriage. This marks the first time for any state to legalize same-sex marriage by the expressed will of the people rather than through court rulings or legislation. While this certainly does not mean we should stop legal or political efforts completely, it does mean that we should begin thinking about what it looks like to be the church in a ‘post-culture war’ era. We need to be prepared to defend the protection of religious liberty as we move into the future.”
Even before the election, some preachers were attracting attention for their views on the election. This past Sunday, for instance, Pastor Robert Jeffress of First Baptist Dallas in Dallas, Texas, made headlines for his pre-election warning. If President Barack Obama were to win re-election (the reality of which came just two days later), Jeffress warned that America would be set on a dangerous path toward Armageddon.
“I want you to hear me tonight, I am not saying that President Obama is the Antichrist, I am not saying that at all,” he preached. “But what I am saying is this: the course he is choosing to lead our nation is paving the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 475 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 302 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 132 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 233 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 108 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 109 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- Coen, Guirgis bound for Atlantic Theater Company
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Obama endorses more oversight of drone strikes
- CORRECTS: Obama: No drone strikes without 'near certainty' of no civilian casualties.
- Study: Amphibians disappearing at alarming rate
- Obama announces he's lifting 2009 ban on transfers of Guantanamo detainees to Yemen
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter
- Obama:No drone strikes on suspected terrorists without 'near certainty' of civilian casualties