Following Tuesday’s Election, Former Reagan Econ. Advisor Says he Couldn’t be More ‘Optimistic’: Here’s Why
Former economic advisor to Ronald Reagan Art Laffer during an interview on Fox Business on Thursday said that he couldn’t be “more happy” with the outcome of the presidential election.
Because he believes that by the end of President Obama’s second term, the GOP’s “odds-on favorite” for 2016, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), will be able to campaign on (and implement) pro-growth, free market policies.
“I’m very, very hopeful about what’s going to happen,” he said to Fox’s Martha McCallum, “I think this was the election not to win.”
We have the 2013 “taxmageddon” [i.e. the so-called “fiscal cliff”] that I think is going to lead to a very sharp drop in economic activity. And looking at 2014, I’m very excited about how the elections will turn out there. And 2016, I think, will be the equivalent of 1980, and we’re going to have enormous prosperity in America.
I couldn’t be more happy and more optimistic than I am. This is Obama’s day. He won and the Democrats did pretty well and, frankly, it’s their game. It’s their game and it’s the only game in town. But I hope they go the Simpson-Bowlles — flat-tax and spending restraint.
McCallum jumped in for a moment to clarify Laffer’s statement.
“You really think the president will go for real tax reform?” she asked.
“No, I don’t.”
“Or a sort of flat-tax provision?”
“Or that he will allow anything to pass that doesn’t include an increase in taxes for the wealthy?”
“I think he’s going to require increase in tax rates on the wealthy and that’s his downfall,” Laffer said, “and that just makes no sense whatsoever. The wealthy are the people who hire everyone else!”
“You can’t love jobs and hate job creators,” he added, “and [President Obama] hates jobs creators.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Front page photo source courtesy Laffer center.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 512 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 445 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Colorado killer's reprieve sharply criticized
- Taiwan's Wu confirms he'll run for IOC presidency
- US, Israel raise hopes for Mideast peace restart
- Jury in Jodi Arias trial resumes deliberations
- Nixon library hosts 40th reunion for Vietnam POWs
- Bangladesh: Owners' many failings led to collapse
- UK emergency committee meets after attack
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal