Jared Loughner Sentenced to 7 Life Terms Plus 140 Years in Prison for Deadly Tucson Rampage
Jared Loughner was sentenced to life in prison Thursday for the deadly 2011 Tucson, Ariz. shooting rampage that killed six people and injured 13, including then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, whom he shot in the head.
U.S. District Judge Larry sentenced Loughner to seven life terms — one for each victim killed, plus an additional sentence for Giffords’ attempted assassination — plus another 140 years without the possibility of parole.
The Arizona Republic reported both Giffords and husband Mark Kelly were in the courtroom for the sentencing. Standing beside Giffords, Kelly addressed Loughner, as did other victims of the massacre.
“You may have put a bullet in her head but you haven’t put a dent in her spirit,” Kelly said, according to KVOA-TV. He added that Loughner has “decades upon decades” to contemplate what he did, but “after today, Gabby and I are done thinking of you.”
Loughner, now 24, declined to speak at the hearing. He pleaded guilty in August to 19 federal charges under an agreement that he would spend the rest of his life in prison without parole.
Loughner was diagnosed with schizophrenia after the shooting and underwent forcible psychotropic drug treatment.
Dr. Christina Pietz, Loughner’s psychologist, testified Thursday that he was competent and able to understand the proceeding.
Burns said before announcing the sentence that Loughner had no reasonable insanity defense for what he did.
“The facts show he traveled there with the purpose of shooting Ms. Giffords,” Burns said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 998 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 436 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 389 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 158 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 183 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Fire chief says search almost complete in Oklahoma
- Protesters rally over IRS' tea party scrutiny
- JPMorgan's Dimon survives shareholder referendum
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Committee nears final vote on immigration bill
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes