Tom Hanks to Play Walt Disney In New Movie — See the Comparison
Unless it is for a movie role, Tom Hanks rarely changes his look. That fact is exactly why Hollywood has been buzzing since Hanks was recently spotted sporting a little upper lip growth.
On Wednesday we learned the reason for the ‘stache. Hanks is starring as Walt Disney in a new movie called “Saving Mr. Banks.” The film, which started shooting inside Disneyland on Tuesday, is actually a movie about a movie. The Examiner reports:
“Saving Mr. Banks” traces the Walt’s prolonged efforts to gain the rights to adapt “Mary Poppins” from author P.L. Travers. The movie highlights their 1961 head-bumping collaboration during the film’s pre-production.
Joining Hanks will be a few other big names: Emma Thompson, Colin Farrell, Paul Giamatti, Bradley Whitford and Jason Schwartzman.
The news about the film leaked when Disneyland visitors spotted Hanks and the crew shooting inside the theme park. Photos were snapped and tweeted. Thanks to a very enthusiastic army of information-hungry Disney fans, the photos and news about the film went viral on the web.
Take a look at Hanks in full Walt Disney costume and make up. Does he look the part?
If you need a reminder of what the real Walt Disney looked like. Here’s a 1954 press photo of Walt when he announced plans to build Disneyland.
The Orange County Register has more on how the movie is working through the logistics of filming at such a high profile place:
Disneyland is blocking off sections of the park on and off Tuesday and Wednesday during the recording. Signs in front of the entrance and around the park warn that some areas will be closed for part of the days.
On Tuesday morning, most of the hub area in front of the castle initially was roped off with signs stating, “No Flash Photography Please.” Disneyland employees told visitors that the area was closed for the “Saving Mr. Banks” movie.
Because the plot is based in 1961, crews couldn’t risk having visitors in modern clothing in the background. So, Disneyland employees were cast as extras in period costumes to act as Disneyland guests. Around 11:30 a.m., a line of extras in below-the-knee skirts, flip hairdos, Keds and plaid pants filed in through the castle’s gates to prepare for a scene in Fantasyland.
Shortly after, employees temporarily cleared out the Fantasyland rides behind the castle for a scene captured on and around the King Arthur Carrousel. Behind the ropes, two director’s chairs with the names “Walt” and “Pamela” on them sat in front of Mr. Toad’s Wild ride.
Period carts, including a popcorn stand with a 5 cents sign and a flower merchant, were brought in.
Tom Hanks as Walt Disney? Thumps up or down?
“Saving Mr. Banks” is slated for a Christmas release next year.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 436 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 413 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 354 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 115 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 130 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 120 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 232 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 243 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Arias jury deadlocks but must keep deliberating
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Minn. teen whose farewell song became web hit dies
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- WikiLeaks case file fight moves to federal court
- Tesla uses stock, note sale to repay government