Iranian Report Claims its Military Shot U.S. Drone After it Entered Iranian Airspace
On Thursday, TheBlaze reported that Iran’s Revolutionary Guard forces fired on a U.S. drone on November 1 — a story that was not released to the public until after the presidential election. Now, an Iranian news agency is combating the original details of the incident, claiming that the drone violated Iran’s airspace before it was fired upon.
This is, of course, radically different from the account that the Pentagon gave this week. U.S. officials have maintained that the drone was not, in fact, in Iranian airspace when the incident unfolded.
The semiofficial FARS agency on Friday carried quotes from a general in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards as saying that following the Pentagon claim, Iran would confront any “flying object” that entered its air space. Gen. Masoud Jazayeri said Iranian forces would respond strongly to any ground, sea or air “invasion.”
As stated, the story first emerged yesterday when the Pentagon said an Iranian military plane fired on, but did not hit, an unarmed U.S. drone aircraft last week. Pentagon spokesman George Little said the drone was in international airspace over the Persian Gulf. The unmanned unit, which was conducting what Little called “routine maintenance” at the time, was “intercepted.”
“The United States has communicated to the Iranians that we will continue to conduct surveillance flights over international waters over the Arabian Gulf consistent with longstanding practice and our commitment to the security of the region,” Little said in a Pentagon briefing. ”We have a wide range of options from diplomatic to military to protect our military assets and our forces…and will do so when necessary.”
Initially, the Obama administration did not disclose the information to the public — an act that some may question, especially considering the proximity of the event to the 2012 presidential election.
Tensions between the U.S. and Iran have been high over Iran’s suspect nuclear program.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 887 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 356 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 330 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 245 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 193 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 189 Comments
- Man Catches Record-Setting, 128-Pound Python With His Bare Hands Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Hm: Watertown, Mass. has other ties to terrorism
- Tuesday morning must-reads
- Oklahoman: ‘Have mercy — once again — on Oklahoma, O Lord!’
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Golf adopts rule to ban anchored putting stroke
- Oman proposes ban on niqab veils for women drivers
- France: Drugmaker on trial, suspected in deaths
- Teen star Zendaya finishes 1st on 'Dancing' finals
- Group: More Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes'
- Chelsea tops AP poll after winning Euro title
- Reports: Iran bars 2 top figures from June ballot
- Tunisia announces 3 cases of coronavirus, 1 death