‘Violence Tax’: Illinois County Approves New $25 Fee on Each Firearm Purchased
Cook County in Illinois approved a slew of new taxes Friday, including an extra $1 tax on each packet of cigarettes sold, a $1,000 tax per year on certain slot machines, a 1.2% tax on items costing more than $3,500 purchased outside the county, and a $25 tax on each firearm sold in suburban gun shops, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
The hope is that the new taxes will chip away at the roughly $240 million budget deficit by raising roughly $40 million in new revenue, NBC Chicago adds.
The board approved the changes by a vote of 16-1, and though a number of local business owners are concerned the new taxes will push customers into neighboring counties, legislators appear pleased with their work.
“Of the three budgets we have worked on, this has been the easiest. It has come together very well in a very bipartisan spirit,” Commissioner John Fritchey told ABC Chicago.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle contributed: “This is a fiscally responsible budget that reflects the values and priorities of my administration. It makes key investments in our public health and public safety systems that will advance a regional health care model and further criminal justice reform.”
Though Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, it is also one of the most dangerous cities.
The proposal originally included a five-cent tax on each bullet, as well, but the nickel-a-bullet tax has been dropped for the time being.
For now, NBC Chicago explains how the $25 “violence tax” is being justified:
“Gun violence is a real problem for us,” she said. “It’s a problem for us in our criminal justice system and it’s a problem for us in our health care system, and I make no apologies for the proposal.”
Preckwinkle said acute care for the average shooting victim cost taxpayers $52,000 because nearly 70 percent of the victims don’t have health insurance.
The move follows a violent Chicago summer, when some weekends left multiple people killed and dozens others injured in shootings. The city’s murder rate is up 25 percent, and the Cook County Jail is near capacity with 9,000-plus inmates.
“I think it is a good thing, especially in this economy right now,” Cook County resident James Fabbrini weighed in.
Newsy has more:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 985 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 426 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 378 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 291 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 139 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 176 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases