‘We Have Some Very Serious Challenges to Make’: Allen West Campaign Lawyer Says ‘Absolutely No Chance of Concession’
A lawyer for Florida Republican Rep. Allen West’s re-election campaign said Saturday there is “absolutely no chance” of conceding the race despite Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy holding the lead by 2,429 votes.
A complete but unofficial vote tally released Saturday put Murphy ahead with 166,799 votes to West’s 164,370 — giving him a 0.7 percent advantage, above the 0.5 percent threshold to trigger an automatic recount, the Palm Beach Post reported.
But Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a volunteer lawyer for the West campaign, told TheBlaze there are significant concerns, particularly in St. Lucie County. St. Lucie is the only one of the three counties in the congressional district Murphy won, according to the AP.
“We have some serious challenges to make in St. Lucie County,” said Shapiro, who said he wasn’t speaking officially on the campaign’s behalf. “We have a lot of confidence that’s it’s very possible the numbers in St. Lucie County could change, and they could change dramatically…it definitely could change the outcome [of the race].”
One of the main issues Shapiro said was an sudden election night “recount” in St. Lucie that shifted 4,400 votes from West to Murphy, erasing West’s one-time 2,000-vote lead. Shapiro speculated some votes could have been fed through readers incorrectly or even have been counted twice.
“We are exploring every possible avenue that we can right now to find out if in fact these votes were counted accurately and correctly, or if they were counted at all,” Shapiro said.
He also said some precincts in St. Lucie showed more ballots were cast than the number of actual voters.
“There is absolutely no chance of concession before we have the answers to these questions because the campaign feels that every vote has the right to be heard,” Shapiro said. “For the media and Mr. Murphy’s campaign to prematurely declare victory before these very important issues have been resolved is irresponsible and unfair to the voters.”
Murphy declared victory over West early Wednesday. On Saturday, senior campaign adviser Eric Johnson told the Palm Beach Post it was “time for everyone to put the election behind them.”
“Since election night we’ve felt very comfortable in our margin of victory,” Johnson said.
Shapiro said an official vote count is due on Thursday and that West’s campaign will need to appear before the county canvassing board to make the case that the current votes cannot be certified.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 285 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan