16,000+ Votes Being Recounted in Allen West Congressional Race
A potentially election-changing recount of more than 16,000 votes got underway Sunday morning in the hotly contested race between Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) and Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy.
Election officials in St. Lucie County said late Saturday they would convene “to recount all ballots cast during early voting” out of concerns about the ways votes were tabulated on election night — a total of 37,379 ballots, the Palm Beach Post reported.
But Assistant County Attorney Heather Young announced when the proceedings started Sunday that only ballots from the last three days of early voting would be recounted — the only days she said tabulating equipment had a problem reading the votes — accounting for a total of 16,275 ballots.
A complete but unofficial vote tally released Saturday put Murphy ahead of West, 166,799 votes to 164,370, but the Tea Party favorite has refused to concede the race, citing significant concerns about the integrity of the vote count in St. Lucie County.
“Late on Election Night, Congressman West led by 1,700 votes,” West’s campaign said in a statement Saturday. “Following the St. Lucie County Supervisor of Elections’ decision to recount thousands of early ballots after a technical glitch, the margin shifted by 4,000. In order to ensure that votes were not doubled counted, we have requested that the St. Lucie Supervisor of Elections make public the poll check-in books to ensure the numbers of ballots cast matches the numbers of voters checked-in at the polls.”
West campaign manager Tim Edson told the Post on Sunday they had been told last week it was the first three days of early voting — not the last three — that had had problems. He said all eight days of early voting ballots need to be recounted.
“What’s going on today is a sham,” Edson told the newspaper. “It does nothing to at all to address the concerns we had after being told yesterday they would be recounting all early votes.”
Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a volunteer lawyer for the West campaign, told TheBlaze on Saturday there was “absolutely no chance of concession” until the campaign’s questions were answered.
- ‘‘We Have Some Very Serious Challenges to Make’: Allen West Campaign Lawyer Says ‘Absolutely No Chance of Concession’
- Judge Denies Allen West’s Request to Impound Ballots & Voting Machines
- Source: Allen West Now Leads Initial Vote Count in One Fla. County
- ‘This Race Is Far From Decided’: Allen West Wants a Recount
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 916 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 392 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 350 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 251 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 248 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him Read More
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort — See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos 130 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Watch Live: Senate Hearing on IRS Targeting of Conservative Groups Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma twister
- Justin Bieber's monkey becomes German property
- Indexes edge higher on Wall Street in midday trade
- JPMorgan's Dimon survives shareholder referendum
- JPMorgan shareholders defeat campaign to split CEO and chairman role; Dimon prevails
- Prince William joins father in conservation plea
- Housing recovery boosts Home Depot 1Q results
- Lew: IRS actions "unacceptable and inexcusable"