Busted: Jesse Jackson Jr Faces Jail Time And Resignation in Plea Deal
Jesse Jackson Jr. may have won reelection last Tuesday, but don’t expect him to finish (or possibly even start) his new term. The Illinois Democrat is currently facing charges for misuse of campaign funds, and apparently trying to cut a deal with his federal accusers. And while details on that deal are sketchy, it is considered near certain that Jackson will have to resign, pay back the money he embezzled and possibly serve time in jail – a far cry from the House of Representatives.
CBS Chicago reported Saturday that veteran criminal defense attorney and former U.S. Attorney Dan Webb is negotiating a deal that tentatively includesthe congressman pleading guilty to misusing campaign funds, resigning for health reasons, repaying any campaign contributions that went toward personal expenditures and — almost inevitably — some jail time.
The negotiations are expected to be wrapped up by the year’s end, according to CBS. [...]
Members of Chicago’s City Council, of which Jackson’s wife Sandi Jackson is a member, criticized the congressman after news of the reported plea deal went public.
“To slap us in the face now, you just lied to us. You just lied to us. I feel so betrayed,” Ald. Carrie Austin (34th) told NBC Chicago last week.
Ald. Deborah Graham (29th) told the Sun-Times she is “heartbroken” for Sandi amid the controversy.
“It’s a terrible time for her and her children,” Graham told the newspaper.
Jackson’s misfortunes began earlier this year when it was uncovered that he spent official campaign funds on a $40,000 Rolex watch for a female friend and the decorating of his Washington, D.C. home. Since then a mental health-centered saga has begun, revealing Jackson to suffer from sever bipolarity, checking himself in and out of the Mayo Clinic for treatment with increasing regularity.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 314 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 260 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 143 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 198 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 138 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet