President Obama Honors the Sacrifice of U.S. Veterans: ‘We Take Care of Our Own’
President Barack Obama paid tribute at a Veterans Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery Sunday to “the heroes over the generations who have served this country of ours with distinction.”
Speaking at the Memorial Amphitheater, the president said that “no ceremony or parade, no hug or handshake is enough to truly honor” their service, but that we must commit to serving them as they’ve served us.
He said the wreath he laid earlier at Tomb of the Unknowns was intended to remember every service member who has worn a uniform for our nation.
Here is raw video from the ceremony, via the Associated Press:
“You’ve toppled a dictator and battled an insurgency in Iraq. You pushed back the Taliban and decimated al-Qaida in Afghanistan,” Obama told the vets. “You delivered justice to Osama bin Laden.”
The remarks came after Obama praised the 9/11 generation’s contribution to the United States. Stepping forward after the Twin Towers fell, he said they have “stepped into history, writing one of the greatest chapters in military service our country has ever known.”
Obama also spoke of how his domestic policy relates to veterans, reminding that three years ago he promised they would be welcomed home to a country that fights for them as they have fought for us.
“So long as I have the honor of serving as your commander-in-chief,” he added, “that is the promise that we will never stop working to keep.”
Saying that “no one who fights for this country overseas should ever have to fight for a job, or a roof over their head,” President Obama proceeded to attack inefficient government bureaucracy.
“No veteran should have to wait months, or years, for the benefits that you’ve earned, so we will continue to attack the claims backlog, we won’t let up,” he said strongly.
When his statement was greeted with a hesitant applause, Obama repeated, “We will not let up.”
After discussing new benefits for veterans, Obama said: “That’s what we do in America. We take care of our own. We take care of our veterans. We take care of your families, not just by saluting you on one day once a year, but by fighting for you and your families every day, every year.”
President Obama concluded his solemn speech:
“We carry on knowing that our best days always lie ahead. On this day we thank all of our veterans from all of our wars, not just for your service to this country, but for reminding us why America is, and always will be, the greatest nation on Earth. God bless you, God bless our veterans, God bless our men and women in uniform, and God bless these United States of America. Thank you very much.”
Here is video, via the White House:
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- New Explosive Benghazi Allegations: CIA Operators Told to ‘Stand Down’ During Attack as 3 Urgent Requests for Military Back-Up Were Denied
- Joe Biden to Father of Former Navy SEAL Killed in Benghazi: ‘Did Your Son Always Have Balls the Size of Cue Balls?’
- 500 Former Generals, Admirals Announce Support for Romney in Powerful Full-Page Ad
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 151 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 107 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sharks hang on to beat Kings 2-1 and tie series
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Bruins rally, push Rangers to brink of elimination
- Spurs can't ease up despite 2-0 lead on Grizzlies
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Gov't dysfunction may be baked into the system
- Bay Bowl: San Francisco to host 50th Super Bowl
- Immigration bill heads to full Senate