Actor Antonio Sabato Jr. Tells TheBlaze Why He’s ‘A True Believer in Jesus’ (Plus: His Take on Christianity in Hollywood)
It’s evident that vocal Christians are a rare breed in Hollywood. Considering entertainers’ tough schedules, intense temptations and the controversial actions required to keep and hold on to their fame, it’s no wonder that living a positive lifestyle can be a difficult task in the entertainment world. Lately, though, TheBlaze has been speaking with well-known actors, singers and comedians who shatter the stereotype — or at least the notion — that Tinseltown is godless. Most recently, we caught up with actor and model Antonio Sabato Jr., who explained the importance of faith in his own life.
The former soap star and model highlighted his Christian views and shared some surprising details about his fellow entertainers. The actor, who moved with his family to America in 1985, has made a name for himself in the entertainment world. No stranger to television, movies and modeling, Sabato’s father, Antonio Sabato Sr., was an actor in numerous Italian films in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. As for his own motivation for entering into the same field, the younger Sabato explains: “It was in my genes.”
Growing up in Rome, Italy, the now 40-year-old actor claims that it was hard, as a young person, to escape religion. After all, he recalls churches being present on practically every street corner. As a result of the exposure, Sabato said that he was “always a Christian,” noting that, from an early age, religious themes were a part of his daily life.
“I always believed in Jesus and God as a little boy,” he told TheBlaze.
While the actor claims that he didn’t go to church as a child, God was very much a part of his life. As he grew older, Sabato’s faith “came together” and became a more active staple in his daily routine.
“As I got older, I got closer to my faith and I got closer to Jesus, reading the Bible and living my life under God,” Sabato said.
Over the past few years, the model noted that this Christian views have only increased and that his wife, singer-songwriter Cheryl Moana Marie, has played a key role in helping to refine and bolster his personal beliefs.
“My wife was a big part of it,” Sabato said of Marie, whom he married earlier this year. “Together, me and my wife are believers and we live our lives for Jesus.”
During his interview with TheBlaze, Sabato didn’t simply speak in grand religious terms; he also highlighted what he believes it means to be a Christian. Rather than going to church, an action that he now engages in regularly as an adult, Sabato spoke about the importance of living out one’s faith. In the end, religion is only a construct, he said, noting that Christianity is about having an active relationship with God.
“I consider myself a Christian — a true believer in Jesus Christ — that he died for our sins. [That he is our] true savior,” he explained. “I don’t consider myself any denomination.”
The impact that the faith has had on Sabato’s life is profound, as he notes that his family, children included, is much healthier as a result of it and that family members’ relationships with one another are better with God in the mix. As a father, he claims faith has refined him, as the actor finds himself asking, in various scenarios, ”Would Jesus do it like this?” and “What are the consequences?”
When it comes to Hollywood — a place, as stated, that many assume to be godless, Sabato had a cautionary note for Christians: Don’t assume that Tinseltown is entirely devoid of God.
“You’d be surprised — I think there’s a lot of people who are Christians,” he said of some of his compatriots within the entertainment industry; he then went on to give his theory as to why more people aren’t open about their faith. “It’s because Hollywood is what it is and they kind of have to put everything behind a glass door.”
Sabato noted that he knows many others in the industry who go to church regularly and who share his beliefs. In addition to commenting about other believers in Hollywood, the actor shared his experience surrounding how God has positively impacted his career.
Being a Christian in Hollywood can be tough and Sabato always has to strike a balance, particularly when it comes to controversial roles. For the actor, choosing a role is all about examining a script in its entirety. If he finds it challenging and compelling, he then moves forward with the project. While he claims he’s not too picky, he does look at the degree to which a particular role is “dark” or unpalatable.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 431 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 396 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 316 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 309 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 122 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 118 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 227 Comments
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 234 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Carney: Criticism of IRS response 'legitimate'
- Senate rejects bid to let states run food stamps
- Congo fighting persists as UN chief arrives
- Pentagon: New record plan won't help vet backlog
- Kerry: US, allies ready to step up aid to rebels
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- House takes up GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- LA mayor-elect says he'll focus on economy