Did the Obama Admin Know About the Petraeus Affair in Summer 2011?
The Gen. David Petraeus saga continues. Following his resignation on Friday from the CIA, attention is now shifting to questions surrounding how long, if at all, Obama administration officials knew about his affair with his biographer Paula Broadwell. The stunning possibility that at least one official knew about the affair as early as 2011 emerged in a Fox News report this morning. However, differing time-lines and claims make this information difficult to nail down.
As TheBlaze noted in a previous report, Fox claimed earlier today that Holly Petraeus, the ex-CIA director’s wife, potentially knew about the affair before information was released to the public. But the more noteworthy claim in the same report is that the FBI was allegedly aware of it as well.
While the FBI purportedly knew of Petraeus’ relationship with Broadwell months before it was released to the public, Fox News’ Jennifer Griffin and Adam Housley claim that at least one Obama administration official knew the details more than one year ago. According to Griffin and Housley, “White House Counter-terrorism advisor John Brennan reportedly was aware that there was a relationship in the summer of 2011.”
Considering the timeline, though, this would raise a number of red flags. At the end of June 2011, the ex-general was confirmed by the Senate to be the director of the CIA. If the aforementioned allegation is true, then the administration potentially knew around the time of the confirmation or directly after.
Now, here’s where the details get a bit murky. In an Associated Press article today, a former top aide to Petraeus and one of his close friends said that the affair did not begin until two months after the former general took his position at the CIA.
Since he commenced his position in September, if this account is true, the affair did not start until late 2011. In this scenario, it would have been impossible for Brennan to be aware of an extramarital scandal during the summer of that year that had, obviously, not yet started.
The claim that the affair commenced months after Petraeus took his position comes from Steve Boylan, a friend of the official’s family and a former spokesman who connected with the former CIA-head over the weekend. According to Boylan, the affair between Petraeus and Broadwell ended four months ago.
The stunning revelations about the extramarital activities of Petraeus, a retired four-star general and perhaps the nation’s most revered military figure, has sparked an outcry in Congress over allegations that the FBI did not inform lawmakers about the probe in a timely fashion.
This morning, TheBlaze reported that a military official, on condition of anonymity, identified 37-year-old Jill Kelley as the catalyst for the investigation that discovered the affair. He said Kelley had received harassing emails from Broadwell, which led the FBI to examine her email account and eventually discover her relationship with Petraeus. The FBI contacted Petraeus and other intelligence officials, and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper asked Petraeus to resign.
A former associate of Petraeus confirmed the target of the emails was Kelley, but said there was no affair between the two, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the retired general’s private life. The associate, who has been in touch with Petraeus since his resignation, said Kelley and her husband were longtime friends of Petraeus and his wife.
Members of Congress said Sunday they want to know more details about the FBI investigation that revealed the extramarital affair between Petraeus and his biographer, Paula Broadwell. They questioned when the retired general popped up in the FBI inquiry, whether national security was compromised and why they weren’t told sooner.
‘‘We received no advanced notice. It was like a lightning bolt,’’ Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee, said.
Not everyone was kept out of the loop, though. An FBI whistleblower told House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) in late October that ex-CIA Director David Petraeus had been involved in an extramarital affair and was potentially putting national security at risk, the New York Times reported Saturday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Did Petraeus Mistress Reveal Classified Info About the Cause of the Benghazi Attack During This University Speech?
- Rep. Peter King Has Some Serious Questions About How the PetraeusScandal Was Handled: ‘This Just Doesn’t Add Up’
- Meet the ‘Other Woman’ in the Petraeus Scandal
- A Gun Model? See the Promotional Video Featuring Petraeus’ Reported Lover
- Official: Petraeus Mistress Sent Threatening Emails to Female State Dept. Liason
- FBI Whistle-Blower Told Eric Cantor About Petraeus Affair in October
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,017 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 454 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 420 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 306 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 224 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 200 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 119 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Court strikes down Arizona 20-week abortion ban
- Police defend officer who shot NY college student
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Senate Judiciary Committee approves landmark immigration bill offering citizenship to millions
- Man charged in death of missing Maine teenager
- Nick Jonas, Giuliana Rancic to host Miss USA
- Pentagon wants $450M for Guantanamo prison
- Jury weighing Jodi Arias' fate adjourns for day