Nearly 200 Penn. High School Hockey Teams Told to Nix Playing the National Anthem
If money is tight and time is money, is it acceptable to cut the national anthem from sporting events?
The league commissioner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania apparently thinks so, suggesting a whopping 183 high school teams nix the few minutes it takes to honor the United States to minimize time on the ice.
CBS Pittsburgh/KDKA explains:
High school hockey must rent the ice time, so every game is carefully timed to get as many in as possible in the shortest amount of time.
“Ice is very, very hard to get and it’s not cheap,” said [Commissioner Ed Sam]. “We’re talking $300 an hour sometimes or even higher than that.”
So, when the time for a game is up, play is stopped even if the game is running over because of an over verbose singing of the National Anthem, which happened recently.
The response has been overwhelmingly negative, reports indicate, with the CBS affiliate even writing that “playing the National Anthem is as much a part of sporting events as hot dogs and yelling at the officials.”
“I go back to the 1960s with high school hockey, and it’s always been a part of it,” Bob Mock, the skating director at Center Ice, reminded. “A part of our history, and it should be a part of the game.”
Beth Spena of the Irwin area reportedly added: “I don’t agree with it. There should be some other time that can be cut.”
But Comissioner Sam now says the whole thing was only a suggestion, and asserts that it has nothing to do with patriotism.
“We are recommending the national anthem not be played, or sung, or whatever it is,” he told Fox News, but “It has absolutely nothing to do with patriotism at all. That’s the furthest thing from the truth.”
He added that many of the teams have already chosen to forgo the National Anthem, and fail to play it before games. Regardless, because of the popular backlash, he says they’ll discuss the issue at an upcoming meeting and see if they can find a way to modify the suggestion.
KDKA has more on the story:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 419 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 363 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 108 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 206 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 104 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Francona manages at Fenway for 1st time since 2011