Racist? See the Controversial Victoria’s Secret Outfit Yanked From 2012 Fashion Show
Native American controversies have become something of a running theme of 2012, it seems. After it was revealed that newly-elected Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) claimed such heritage on a number of college and job applications, she was even dubbed “Fauxcahontas” by some in the media.
Warren’s tall tales ended up not bothering the majority of Massachusetts residents, but there’s a new Native American controversy on the horizon– and it’s from the last place you would expect.
The annual Victoria’s Secret fashion show.
Yes, the well-known supplier of women’s garments is under fire for an outfit inspired by Native American heritage, with some shouting cries of “racism.”
Model Karlie Kloss was seen in the fashion show last week with a massive headdress that reached the floor, turquoise jewelry, animal print clothing and tasseled heels.
Here are some pictures from the event:
“Use of the symbols, [culture], art, traditional dress of a culture you don’t care enough to learn about is EXPLOITATION,” one Huffington Post commenter vented. Another added: “Not only is our Sacred Wabonnet being paraded by a bone thin model wearing a smile and [leopard] underwear, the Squash [Blossom] necklace she wears is Sacred to the Dine Navajo people… Genocide and assimilation continues. We are looking for a heartfelt public apology from VS.”
It wasn’t long before Victoria’s Secret did just that, not only apologizing but pulling the look from future broadcasting and advertisements.
The company said in a statement on Sunday, via The Huffington Post:
“We are sorry that the Native American headdress replica used in our recent fashion show has upset individuals. We sincerely apologize as we absolutely had no intention to offend anyone. Out of respect, we will not be including the outfit in any broadcast, marketing materials nor in any other way.”
Do you think the uproar is understandable, or are people starting to cry “racist” a little too often?
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 420 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 377 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 299 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 100 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 110 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 212 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 175 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women