Allen West Sees Gain in Votes in One Fla. County — Inches Closer to Automatic Election-Wide Recount
Mainstream media reports notwithstanding, the Allen West-Patrick Murphy race is far from over, according to a volunteer lawyer with the campaign. Voting irregularities abound in what has shaped up to be one of the most hotly contested congressional races of the 2012 campaign.
On Sunday, the West campaign saw a net gain of 535 votes for Congressman West in a re-feed of early ballots in St. Lucie County, roughly 43.5% of the total ballots cast in the conservative Florida county.
“That’s only two votes shy of the number of votes that President George W. Bush won the American presidency with in 2000,” said Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a volunteer lawyer for the West campaign. Over 800 votes went “missing” in Sunday’s count and of those 800, eighty percent of them had previously gone to West’s challenger, Patrick Murphy. The West campaign likes those odds.
On Saturday, Florida had released an unofficial result showing Murphy with a lead of 2,442 votes, or 50.4 percent—a narrow lead which makes his count just beyond the half-percent margin mandated for an automatic recount.
“We only need another 249 votes to trigger a statutory recount of the total of hundreds of thousands of votes cast in this race,” Shapiro explained. “For the media to suggest Allen West has already lost this race is not only irresponsible, it’s untrue. The media needs to stop projecting what it wants to happen and start reporting the facts of what is actually happening.”
“I wouldn’t be surprised if a statutory recount shifted the final numbers,” he added. “We only recounted the early vote portion for three days in one county today, which was about five percent of the total votes cast in this race. The numbers shifted in the hundreds when we’re only about 1,800 votes behind to win. More important than victory however, is democracy. Everyone deserves to have their voice heard and their vote counted. Something is fundamentally flawed with the media when it creates the impression that recounting the votes is unnecessary.”
Shapiro doubts that the canvassing board in St. Lucie County is doing its due diligence.
“The Canvassing Board in St. Lucie County misled the public,” he said. “They said they would recount all 37,379 early votes, but instead they only recounted 16,275 early votes from November 1, 2 and 3rd. Still, out of the 43.5 percent of early votes they recounted we picked up a net gain 535 votes. If they recounted the remaining 56.5 percent, there’s very little question we’d pick up the 249 we need to trigger a statutory recount.”
“I never experienced these kind of obstructionist tactics and hostility when I was serving on John Kerry’s presidential election team in 2004,” Shapiro added. “I was impressed with the system despite its flaws, but I’m starting to realize that there’s a big difference when you’re a member of the same party as the supervisor of elections than when you’re with the opposition. What I’ve seen these past few days has caused me to lose some faith and confidence in the integrity of the democratic process.”
The race was the country’s most expensive House contest, with over $21 million raised. West is among the most prolific fundraisers in Congress.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools