True Story: Cadre of Clowns Disrupts North Carolina Nazi and KKK Gathering
Here’s a sentence you won’t read every day: Neo-Nazis and members of the Ku Klux Klan were upstaged during a Charlotte, North Carolina rally Saturday by a crowd of defiant clowns determined to drown out the white supremacist message.
WCNC says the counter-protesters outnumbered the white supremacists by a ratio of about 5 to 1, and that instead of shouting or chanting, they employed devices like squeaky toys and whistles to distract from the white supremacist rally. Somewhat surprisingly, none of the clowns were assaulted, and no arrests were made.
WCNC has more:
When the speakers talked about “White Power,” the protesters sprinkled white flour. Another held a sign reading “Wife Power.”
They said they wanted to make a point that racism is ridiculous.
“The message from us is, you look silly,” said Lacey Williams, the youth coordinator for Charlotte’s Latin American Coalition. “We’re dressed like clowns and you’re the ones that look funny.”
Jeff Schoep of the National Socialist Movement, a neo-Nazi group based in Detroit, said his organization wants to be an alternative third party to the country’s two-party system. Its platform is based on white supremacy.
Protestor Tom Strini donned his red nose and rainbow wig to take an opposing point of view.
“Instead of meeting hate with hate, they were going to meet hate with love,” said Strini of the protestors.
“I think it’s really important to have a sense of humor,” added Williams. “What they want is for us to fight them. They want us to hit them with hate. We can’t become them.” [Emphasis added]
Here are some photos of the merry “clowns”:
The white supremacists looked far from amused:
Even a city council member showed up on the side of the clowns, donning a red nose in support.
“We’re just a great big happy melting pot,” said councilman John Autry commented. “I just wanted to come out here and make sure people understood that I did not support the views of the people behind up here with the microphones.”
The event lasted roughly two hours, according to reports, at which point the supremacists gave up and left. A number of the 75 policemen in attendance escorted the group back to a parking garage and though clowns filled the lot, it remained peaceful.
WCNC has video of the unusual occurrence:
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 248 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 130 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief