Is Donald Trump’s Macy’s Ad Offensive? (Cher Thinks It Is) Take Our Blaze Poll
Billionaire/TV Star/Blaze reader Donald Trump is in hot water with some people who don’t like him pulling on Santa’s beard in the new Macy’s commercial.
The ad, “Another Miracle on 34th Street” is a spoof of the 1947 Christmas classic, “Miracle on 34th Street” that starred Edmund Gwenn and a very young Natalie Wood.
The allegedly offensive scene has Trump doubting that Macy’s Kris Kringle is the real deal, and through a bit of cinematic trickery, shows Mr. Trump giving Santa’s beard a tug. (Something that happened in the original movie too.)
The ad also features a bevy of Macy’s featured retail partners like Martha Stewart, Justin Bieber, Carlos Santana, and Tommy Hilfiger.
The very lighthearted ad campaign also has a substantial bit of goodwill behind it. Not only is it promoting Macy’s retail outlets, but it is also pushing the Macy’s charitable efforts on behalf of the Make A Wish Foundation. Macy’s promises to donate $1 (up to one million dollars) to the charity for every letter to Santa that is received at their stores. At the end of the ad, even Mr. Trump is shown writing a letter to Santa.
However, some want to shove all of this good will and cinematic fun aside in favor of finding fault with the ad.
An online campaign has been mounted to “Dump Trump.” The man behind the protest is Angelo Carusone. Mr. Carusone takes exception with Mr. Trump on several points, including how the billionaire handled himself during the recent Presidential campaign. Some of the charges in the petition include:
- Use his public platform to deny the reality of climate change. Following Hurricane Sandy, Trump publicly declared: “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”
- Perpetuated the racially charged birther conspiracy, repeatedly arguing that President Obama has been lying and was not born in the United States.
In one report about the petition, Carusone is quoted saying:
“This is about taking away the system of perverse incentives that rewards Donald Trump for continued outbursts of sexism, bigotry and just plain meanness.”
According to some reports, the petition to remove Mr. Trump from the ad has generated more than 500,000 “signatures” as well as the support of another famous face, Cher.
The San Francisco Gate reports when the former pop star caught wind of the ad, she was inspired to fire off a series of Anti-Trump tweets that stated:
“I’ll never go to Macy’s again! I didn’t know they sold Donald Trump’s line! If they don’t care that they sell products from a loudmouth racist cretin, who’d lie like ‘his rug’ to get some cheap press! I can’t believe Macy’s thinks he’s the right ‘man’ 2 (sic) represent their name!”
As of 4pm on Tuesday afternoon, Macy’s was not swayed by the opinions of Cher, or Mr. Carusone and the ad — with Trump — appears to be safe.
For the record, this is how Macy’s describes the ad online:
This year, there’s another Miracle on 34th Street. Kris Kringle is back at Macy’s to help new store manager Harold during the Christmas rush. Things have changed quite a bit since 1947 when Kris first came to Macy’s, but our star designers are there to show him the ropes. Look for appearances by Justin Bieber, Martha Stewart, Donald Trump, Carlos Santana, Marcus Samuelsson, Tommy Hilfiger and Taylor Swift. Like the classic film, this commercial will make us all believe again.
Please take a moment to review the ad and then take our Blaze poll on the question, Should Macy’s Dump Trump?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 574 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 375 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 287 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 256 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 145 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- Bowie Young, Cavalleri tied in the Bahamas
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Key figures in racial profiling lawsuit in Ariz
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos