Is Donald Trump’s Macy’s Ad Offensive? (Cher Thinks It Is) Take Our Blaze Poll
Billionaire/TV Star/Blaze reader Donald Trump is in hot water with some people who don’t like him pulling on Santa’s beard in the new Macy’s commercial.
The ad, “Another Miracle on 34th Street” is a spoof of the 1947 Christmas classic, “Miracle on 34th Street” that starred Edmund Gwenn and a very young Natalie Wood.
The allegedly offensive scene has Trump doubting that Macy’s Kris Kringle is the real deal, and through a bit of cinematic trickery, shows Mr. Trump giving Santa’s beard a tug. (Something that happened in the original movie too.)
The ad also features a bevy of Macy’s featured retail partners like Martha Stewart, Justin Bieber, Carlos Santana, and Tommy Hilfiger.
The very lighthearted ad campaign also has a substantial bit of goodwill behind it. Not only is it promoting Macy’s retail outlets, but it is also pushing the Macy’s charitable efforts on behalf of the Make A Wish Foundation. Macy’s promises to donate $1 (up to one million dollars) to the charity for every letter to Santa that is received at their stores. At the end of the ad, even Mr. Trump is shown writing a letter to Santa.
However, some want to shove all of this good will and cinematic fun aside in favor of finding fault with the ad.
An online campaign has been mounted to “Dump Trump.” The man behind the protest is Angelo Carusone. Mr. Carusone takes exception with Mr. Trump on several points, including how the billionaire handled himself during the recent Presidential campaign. Some of the charges in the petition include:
- Use his public platform to deny the reality of climate change. Following Hurricane Sandy, Trump publicly declared: “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”
- Perpetuated the racially charged birther conspiracy, repeatedly arguing that President Obama has been lying and was not born in the United States.
In one report about the petition, Carusone is quoted saying:
“This is about taking away the system of perverse incentives that rewards Donald Trump for continued outbursts of sexism, bigotry and just plain meanness.”
According to some reports, the petition to remove Mr. Trump from the ad has generated more than 500,000 “signatures” as well as the support of another famous face, Cher.
The San Francisco Gate reports when the former pop star caught wind of the ad, she was inspired to fire off a series of Anti-Trump tweets that stated:
“I’ll never go to Macy’s again! I didn’t know they sold Donald Trump’s line! If they don’t care that they sell products from a loudmouth racist cretin, who’d lie like ‘his rug’ to get some cheap press! I can’t believe Macy’s thinks he’s the right ‘man’ 2 (sic) represent their name!”
As of 4pm on Tuesday afternoon, Macy’s was not swayed by the opinions of Cher, or Mr. Carusone and the ad — with Trump — appears to be safe.
For the record, this is how Macy’s describes the ad online:
This year, there’s another Miracle on 34th Street. Kris Kringle is back at Macy’s to help new store manager Harold during the Christmas rush. Things have changed quite a bit since 1947 when Kris first came to Macy’s, but our star designers are there to show him the ropes. Look for appearances by Justin Bieber, Martha Stewart, Donald Trump, Carlos Santana, Marcus Samuelsson, Tommy Hilfiger and Taylor Swift. Like the classic film, this commercial will make us all believe again.
Please take a moment to review the ad and then take our Blaze poll on the question, Should Macy’s Dump Trump?
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,000 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 439 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 163 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 197 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot