Obama’s Interior Secretary Threatens Colorado Springs Reporter: ‘I’ll Punch You Out’
Last week, during an Election Day event supporting President Barack Obama in Fountain, Colo., U.S. Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar threatened a local reporter following a seemingly routine interview.
“If you set me up like this again, I’ll punch you out,” Salazar told Colorado Springs Gazette reporter Dave Phillips.
In an email to TheBlaze, U.S. Department of Interior spokesman Blake Androff confirmed that the altercation occurred. “The secretary regrets the exchange,” he wrote. The official did not provide any additional details.
Salazar had just finished answering questions about his policies for managing America’s wild horse population when the alleged incident occurred. Ginger Kathrens, executive director of the Cloud Foundation, was standing just feet away from Phillips when Salazar lost his temper.
“I was standing 3 feet away from Dave,” Kathrens told TheBlaze. “And when I turned, he kind of spat that at him and I thought, ‘Oh my God’…It was unbelievable.”
She said Salazar was “very angry” when he threatened to “punch out” the reporter, shooting down the assertion that he made the comment in a joking or harmless manner.
Kathrens also said Salazar told her, “You know, you should never do that” after she reached out to shake his hand. She is uncertain what the secretary of the interior meant by that remark.
The video below cuts out just before Salazar threatened to “punch out” the Colorado Springs Gazette reporter, according to Kathrens:
“These threats would have been inappropriate coming from anyone, but the fact that it came out of the mouth of the Secretary of the Interior is alarming,” Kathrens stated in a press release. “I can’t believe that a top official in Obama’s cabinet could be so defensive.”
According to the Cloud Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to the preservation of wild horses on public lands, Phillips, the threatened Colorado Springs Gazzette reporter, was interviewing Salazar as part of a follow-up to a previous article he had written in September about the sale of wild horses to Tom Davis, a Colorado “killer buyer” who purchased over 1,700 wild horses from government owned facilities.
Salazar himself reportedly admitted that the buyer’s activity is being investigated. “It is believed [the horses] were trucked over the border to Mexican slaughterhouses,” the release states.
While it’s unclear exactly what set Salazar off, Kathrens told TheBlaze that she believes the mention of Davis during the questioning period initially flustered him. Then Phillips reportedly asked if the system regarding the protection of horses needs to change, which made the Obama administration official even more tense. It was shortly after this final question that Salazar marched towards Phillips and made the indiscreet comment.
She also claimed that the Davis family has worked for the Salazars, insinuating that the interior secretary and Tom Davis have ties.
Calls made to officials with the Colorado Springs Gazette were not returned in time for this report. However, additional information may be added as it becomes available.
Featured image via Getty
(H/T: Fox Nation)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 420 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 377 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 299 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 100 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 111 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 212 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 177 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women